Mobileread
Marvin 3 and iOS 13
#11  diremommy 09-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Quote Turtle91
That appears to be an iOS issue, not something Marvin can control.

I googled this article. Maybe it'll allow you to set up a defaut app??
I’ve read through this article and a few others, and I can’t figure out any way to open epubs in marvin, or any app, by default. Hopefully, if someone else figures out a solution, they’ll share it here.

I can get the files open in Marvin, I just wish it took fewer clicks.

#12  Mims 09-30-2019, 07:58 PM
Quote diremommy
I’ve read through this article and a few others, and I can’t figure out any way to open epubs in marvin, or any app, by default. Hopefully, if someone else figures out a solution, they’ll share it here.

I can get the files open in Marvin, I just wish it took fewer clicks.
I finally got my crossword apps sorted out and the update notes on one of them says (if I am reading it correctly) that the app determines how it gets the download. At least after the update, that app now shows up as a selection under download arrow in safari.

Apple Books app is evidently set up to grab ePubs. I downloaded drm free books from my Kobo account, Mobileread, and Gutenberg. If I tap on the file name in down loads it opens immediately in Books. If I tap on the spyglass it takes me to files.

Looks like the only way we’ll get a simpler download process is if an app is updated to the new system. Or if we can figure something from the article.

#13  diremommy 10-01-2019, 12:55 AM
Ugh, this don’t hold much hope for a Marvin update, it hasn’t updated in ages. It might be time to find a book app that’s still being supported.

I ended up going back to ios 12, i had too many little annoyances popping up. I’ll try again when it’s more stable.

#14  diremommy 10-29-2019, 11:41 PM
Has there been any changes to how you open books in Marvin, or is it still several extra steps?

#15  Turtle91 10-30-2019, 08:45 AM
There are multiple ways of getting books into Marvin.

The easiest, IMO, is using an OPDS server. You link to it, browse for your book and then tap to download. There are several public servers, or you can create your own on your own computer. I've done this for years and it works great from anywhere in the world.

Similarly, you can copy your books to your Dropbox account and download them from there.

You can also plug the phone into iTunes and transfer from there ().

I actually downloaded, and contaminated installed Kindle app on my phone to test the "if an app is updated to the new system" method of sending the book to a specific app. That didn't change anything, and kindle was updated just 2 days ago... It does take a few clicks to get the epub to Marvin via the file system, but it does work. I believe it is the same number of steps to put the epub in any non-iBooks, app.

It appears Apple has built another layer into their walled garden and made it harder for people to use the app of their choice easier to use Apple's apps...

#16  pwalker8 10-31-2019, 09:59 AM
Quote Turtle91
There are multiple ways of getting books into Marvin.

The easiest, IMO, is using an OPDS server. You link to it, browse for your book and then tap to download. There are several public servers, or you can create your own on your own computer. I've done this for years and it works great from anywhere in the world.

Similarly, you can copy your books to your Dropbox account and download them from there.

You can also plug the phone into iTunes and transfer from there ().

I actually downloaded, and contaminated installed Kindle app on my phone to test the "if an app is updated to the new system" method of sending the book to a specific app. That didn't change anything, and kindle was updated just 2 days ago... It does take a few clicks to get the epub to Marvin via the file system, but it does work. I believe it is the same number of steps to put the epub in any non-iBooks, app.

It appears Apple has built another layer into their walled garden and made it harder for people to use the app of their choice easier to use Apple's apps...
You can actually edit the send to so that your favored apps are first on the list. I've got it set up so that Marvin is the first app for epub books.

#17  ilovejedd 10-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Quote pwalker8
You can actually edit the send to so that your favored apps are first on the list. I've got it set up so that Marvin is the first app for epub books.
You can but there's no going around the new download manager in iPadOS/iOS 13. It has to download first, then you go to the downloads folder before you can use "Open in..."

On iOS 12, downloads load in the tab itself and from there, you can do direct transfer: "Open in Marvin" (or whatever app you last used to open the specific content type) and in my case, there's an extremely convenient "Save to Dropbox" option as well.

Frankly, I'm finding the updated Files app and file handling policies on iPadOS/iOS 13 more annoying than helpful. I transfer ebooks to Marvin via Dropbox. Normally, I'd browse AO3 on Safari and use "Save to Dropbox" to download EPUBs (so I get copies on my PC, too as well as easy access on other iOS devices) but on the latest iOS firmware, I've lost that very convenient direct link/option.

#18  Turtle91 10-31-2019, 03:08 PM
Quote pwalker8
Yay - I found an article that showed how to setup Marvin as a favorite (which is probably what you were talking about). It does take a couple taps to get it to Marvin, but thats Apple for you! Once you have set Marvin as a favorite, adjust its position to be at the top of the list, then:

- select downloads folder in files
- select the "Select" link, if you just tap the file it opens in iBooks
- select the ePubs you want
- select the share button (box with an arrow coming out)
- select Copy to Marvin

iOS doesn't allow anyone to change the default app for a specific file type (article here) so you are stuck with this process with ANY reading app, not just Marvin. Hopefully, Apple will loosen their stranglehold within the next couple of decades...

#19  ilovejedd 10-31-2019, 04:44 PM
Quote Turtle91
- select downloads folder in files
- select the "Select" link, if you just tap the file it opens in iBooks
- select the ePubs you want
- select the share button (box with an arrow coming out)
- select Copy to Marvin
Sadly, selecting multiple books is useless. Marvin will only import one ebook at a time.

I think it was around iOS 8-10 when Apple made copying downloads in apps simpler. I can send to my last used app with just one tap or to another app in two (see pics). Now you have to switch to the Files app first before you can send to.

Wish there was a way to disable the download manager and go back to the old behavior.
2540E859-8026-495D-A437-381818D1651D.png 3E0CDF86-7172-40D1-9BE6-38CB4BDBC9F9.jpg 

#20  Turtle91 10-31-2019, 04:50 PM
Quote ilovejedd
Sadly, selecting multiple books is useless. Marvin will only import one ebook at a time.
Interesting. I know you can transfer multiples using OPDS...

You don't need to go to the files app if you just downloaded it - there is a downloads link in
the top right of the Safari window (circle with arrow).

In any case, it works - but with a couple extra clicks/taps.

Cheers,

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register