Mobileread
Mini Kobo Mini mandatory update
#21  koboy 01-29-2019, 01:03 PM
Quote the_doc
I think it means that if you don't update before one month, and you do a factory reset, then the device won't work.
But if you update, then factory resets will work.
It says nothing about sideloading firmwares, but I guess it will be allways possible.
Worst case scenario, reflash the internal memory card.
thanks. personally i would factory reset my mini then connect to my computer and copy everything back on to it from my latest backup, hopefully that will still work fine.

best wishes koboy

#22  DNSB 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Quote koboy
thanks. personally i would factory reset my mini then connect to my computer and copy everything back on to it from my latest backup, hopefully that will still work fine.

best wishes koboy
Make sure you have an archived copy of the firmware you want to install.

As mentioned before, this is due to technology moving on and needing to implement TLS 1.2/TLS 1.3 to keep web transactions secure.

#23  rjv 01-29-2019, 03:52 PM
I have two Minis. The update on the first one went fine. The second just got stuck at the hourglass, and now it's a brick (a small brick). I tried to reset but no effect. The green and blue lights still work when I hold the switch, but nothing shows up on the screen. When plugged into my computer, it doesn't connect. Any ideas? Thanks.

#24  marianico 01-29-2019, 04:19 PM
Quote rjv
I have two Minis. The update on the first one went fine. The second just got stuck at the hourglass, and now it's a brick (a small brick). I tried to reset but no effect. The green and blue lights still work when I hold the switch, but nothing shows up on the screen. When plugged into my computer, it doesn't connect. Any ideas? Thanks.
Make a copy of the microsd of the working Mini. Install it in the microsd of the bricked Mini. I think this will work.

What version of the firmware have after the update?

#25  DNSB 01-29-2019, 04:24 PM
Quote rjv
You might want to try a manual factory reset on the Mini. Check the MobileRead Wiki page: Kobo Reset: Mini for the procedure.

#26  rjv 01-29-2019, 04:57 PM
Marianico, I'm pretty sure I can take the Mini apart, but not so sure that I can put it back together. Worst case scenario, it's what I'll have to try. The last firmware version that I saw was 3.4.1.
DNSB, I tried all of Kobo's methods for a factory reset, but I get no response on the screen, and the computer doesn't "see" the Kobo.
Thanks for the suggestions.

#27  geek1011 01-29-2019, 05:22 PM
Quote rjv
Marianico, I'm pretty sure I can take the Mini apart, but not so sure that I can put it back together. Worst case scenario, it's what I'll have to try. The last firmware version that I saw was 3.4.1.
DNSB, I tried all of Kobo's methods for a factory reset, but I get no response on the screen, and the computer doesn't "see" the Kobo.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've had this happen too before during an update. Unless you can get it to factory reset (which I doubt), you'll need to take it apart and reimage the sd card. It's not that hard to do. You just need a small screwdriver, and everything comes apart and goes together easily (easier than the newer models).

#28  Uschiekid 01-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Will this possibly affect those who have a contemporary to Mini device that hasn't been updated in years? ie: I have a Kobo Glo that I haven't updated since before 3.19..whatever software number the Mini is getting updated to (I can't check the number, as it's in a different place than I am, at the mo). If I don't update it, then have to do a factory reset, will it be a problem too?

#29  rcentros 01-29-2019, 11:58 PM
I turned off the WiFi and won't use the Mini on the bookstore (like one of my Touches). (Until I know more about this anyhow. If it turns out that it's the same software with the new security protocol that wouldn't be a big deal.) I'll let the other Touch upgrade so I'll have access to the bookstore on one of my Kobos. I haven't gotten any news about the Sony T2 from Kobo yet, which is odd since it is connected to the Kobo bookstore.

#30  davidfor 01-30-2019, 12:23 AM
Quote rcentros
I turned off the WiFi and won't use the Mini on the bookstore (like one of my Touches). (Until I know more about this anyhow. If it turns out that it's the same software with the new security protocol that wouldn't be a big deal.) I'll let the other Touch upgrade so I'll have access to the bookstore on one of my Kobos. I haven't gotten any news about the Sony T2 from Kobo yet, which is odd since it is connected to the Kobo bookstore.
The update is to 3.19.5761. This was released to the other devices three years ago. And it is the same file as used for the Glo and N905C Touch. I still have a copy from then. The file size is the same and a quick look inside didn't show any newer files.

At this point, Kobo aren't offering an update to a 4.x firmware. I assume 3.19.5761 was chosen because it has the needed security updates, and, as they had previously released it for the Mini for the rakuten affiliate, they already had a tested release.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register