Mobileread
eReader for iPhone 1.1 released
#11  DMcCunney 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Quote kaufman
Now that I can upload my own content, I am looking for software for the Mac to convert files to ereader format. Does anyone know of a free solution, or do I need to buy the $30 eReader software?

Thanks, Michael
What kind of source files do you want to convert? I don't know of any solutions for converting other ebook formats directly to eReader. You would need to get the content into PML format first.

The Dropbook utility can take PML files and create eReader documents. It's freeware, and available for the Mac.

There is also a Java app called Makebook, which is no longer developed or supported.

You can find Dropbook and Makebook here.

Instructions for using them are here.

And the Palm Markup Language is documented here.

There are various macro files available for Microsoft Word and Open Office Writer that generate PML formatted texts you can feed to Dropbook. I haven't used them, and can't comment on how well they work. If you use either Word or OO Writer on the Mac, I'll try to dig up links for you.
______
Dennis

#12  tlrowley 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Doesn't Stanza export in eReader format? I see that it's in the "export" menu, but I haven't tried it.

ETA - okay, I just tried it and it worked just fine. I uploaded the file to the FW Personal Content, downloaded it to the iPhone, and it opened just fine.

HTH,
Tracey

#13  DaleDe 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
If you have word or open office on your mac there are macros for both applications to create PML files that can be used with dropbook. Check the eReader wiki.

Dale

#14  DaleDe 08-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Quote tlrowley
Doesn't Stanza export in eReader format? I see that it's in the "export" menu, but I haven't tried it.

ETA - okay, I just tried it and it worked just fine. I uploaded the file to the FW Personal Content, downloaded it to the iPhone, and it opened just fine.

HTH,
Tracey
They certainly don't indicate any support for this format. Are you sure it was not PalmDOC? eReader does support PalmDOC format as well. Did it specifically say eReader?

Dale

#15  kaufman 08-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Quote tlrowley

HTH,
Tracey
The problem with Stanza is that it isn't very good about setting the Name/Author of a book when it exports it. Otherwise, it would be perfect.

Michael

#16  pilotbob 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Quote kaufman
The problem with Stanza is that it isn't very good about setting the Name/Author of a book when it exports it. Otherwise, it would be perfect.

Michael
You should report your issues so that they fix them before release. Stanza is still in beta after all.

BOb

#17  tlrowley 08-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Quote DaleDe
They certainly don't indicate any support for this format. Are you sure it was not PalmDOC? eReader does support PalmDOC format as well. Did it specifically say eReader?

Dale
Ya got me there. They have export formats for "Palm Doc" (creates a file with a default extension of prc), "eReader" (pdb) and "Palm Database" (pdb again). A cmp of the exported files eReader.pdb and PalmDatabase.pdb show them to be identical.

So, I guess you're right, it's probably not truly eReader - but then I think it's misleading of them to specifically use "eReader" as an export format.

Quote kaufman

Michael
I totally agree. I've emailed support and they say they're planning on adding editing of metadata but it hasn't shown up in 8 betas so far Maybe beta 9

#18  DMcCunney 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Quote tlrowley
Ya got me there. They have export formats for "Palm Doc" (creates a file with a default extension of prc), "eReader" (pdb) and "Palm Database" (pdb again). A cmp of the exported files eReader.pdb and PalmDatabase.pdb show them to be identical.

So, I guess you're right, it's probably not truly eReader - but then I think it's misleading of them to specifically use "eReader" as an export format.
Easy enough to find out. PalmDOC is the Palm OS version of a plain ASCII text file, in a Palm Database format, and compressed to save space in RAM. DOC readers decompress it on the fly as they display it.

eReader files are in PML markup format, and support color, fonts, text attributes, images, and links.

Export something with the latter from Stanza and see what it looks like in eReader.
______
Dennis

#19  flumbo 08-08-2008, 06:47 PM
eReader sells "eBook Studio" software to create ereader format books. Go to "Software" and click on Windows or Macintosh to get the correct version. I was trying to figure out how to convert before I noticed it sitting in my ereader library. Bought it five years ago and completely forgot about it.

It works well. Shows a real time preview, actual page breaks, sets all the metadata, lots of formatting options.

#20  Jesse Reads Some 08-11-2008, 03:15 AM
Okay, I uploaded a bunch of my personal (non-copyrighted) .pdb files to my Personal Content bookshelf on the eReader website. Now how to I get them on to my iPhone? The eReader site says you do it "exactly the same way you would download your purchases" except nuh-uh. On the iPhone, when I tap the plus sign, all I see are my actually purchased books. The personal content is nowhere in sight.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register