Mobileread
Please report any possible copyright violations
#11  Alexander Turcic 06-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't know if it's easily feasible (from a programming point of view), but we could have something like "This work is protected under a Commons Creative license" automatically show up under each first post in the Upload sections, to prohibit others from selling the work.

#12  NatCh 06-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Quote Anais9000
Moreover, anyone (for fun or profit) can assert that they created Patricia's work, and ask you to remove it from the forum.
Of course the date on the post, which pre-dated their possession of the work they claimed to have created (which they just swiped from here) would tend to dilute such claims a bit.

#13  Anais9000 06-24-2007, 10:41 AM
May I respectfully suggest you let people protect their works in the way and to the extent they wish, rather than imposing a system. Patricia can insert a copyright statement, or statement of origin, or CC license into her ebook if she likes. I prefer to use a copyright statement, which in my understanding allows the uses I wish to permit (viewing, reading, downloading -- implied by the act of posting) and blocks uses I don't (all others, eg. reposting, republishing, including the work in disk compilations etc.)

I don't really understand NatCh's point. Pardon me for misstating it, if I do, in the interest of having it clarified. He seems to say that it would easy for Patricia to prove that her edition of Villete, marked 05/06/2007 by BD, was not created, say, by me, on May 6th, acquired by her several weeks later, and posted without permission on June 5th.

#14  JSWolf 06-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Your copyright in the book will not stop reposting. I've seen the books posted here in Sony format reported on Usenet. So no, just because you say mo, doesn't make it so.

#15  HarryT 06-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Quote JSWolf
Your copyright in the book will not stop reposting. I've seen the books posted here in Sony format reported on Usenet. So no, just because you say mo, doesn't make it so.
But the Usenet eBook groups exist primarily for the purpose of distributing illegal, copyrighted material. One can, with the use of appropriate copyright message, prevent more "legitimate" re-distribution by people re-selling one's eBooks.

#16  Alexander Turcic 06-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Quote Anais9000
May I respectfully suggest you let people protect their works in the way and to the extent they wish, rather than imposing a system. Patricia can insert a copyright statement, or statement of origin, or CC license into her ebook if she likes. I prefer to use a copyright statement, which in my understanding allows the uses I wish to permit (viewing, reading, downloading -- implied by the act of posting) and blocks uses I don't (all others, eg. reposting, republishing, including the work in disk compilations etc.).
Sounds good. I was just thinking of ways to make it easier

#17  Alexander Turcic 06-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Quote JSWolf
I wouldn't be so afraid of reposting. What would suck is if someone tried to resell the books.

#18  Anais9000 06-24-2007, 11:08 AM
On cue, JSWolf points out the obvious. The copyright asserts the right, it does not enforce it. We're all aware of the difficulties of defending rights, as well as the harm caused by misguided attempts at over-enforcement (see RIAA). Asserting my copyright does not oblige me to enforce it in every case.

#19  JSWolf 06-24-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't think the books will be resold just becaus eof being posted on Usenet. But, I do think that if anyone hwere thinks a copyright will stop reposting other places is quite naive.

#20  HarryT 06-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't believe that anyone is suggesting that, Jon. The advantage of having a copyright message is that it would give one a means of doing something about a particular distribution which one found particularly irksome, such as someone re-selling one's hard work on a web site, for example.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register