Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for November 2019 • Books like Onions: Layers
#11  Bookpossum 10-01-2019, 09:11 PM
It could be a problem in some libraries I suppose, though apparently not in mine, so I leave that for others to respond to.

I thought The Thirteenth Tale was very good indeed when I read it many years ago, and can certainly recommend it if you decide to go with it.

#12  Bookpossum 10-01-2019, 09:12 PM
I second The Night Watch by Sarah Waters.

I read her book The Little Stranger a couple of years ago and thought it was very good, so would like to read more books by her.

#13  Catlady 10-01-2019, 09:40 PM
Quote gmw
I just realised that Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield is not quite twelve months old (release date Dec 2018). This probably goes some way to explaining the price in Canada (but does not explain why the price is fairly standard in Australia).

Would people prefer if I withdraw it and find something else?

Edited to add: Just so you know, there's good chance the replacement would be The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Not much cheaper anywhere, but since it's over a decade old it should be more readily available in libraries - perhaps.
Once Upon a River has been on my library wish list for ages, and I'm inclined to second it, depending on what else is nominated over the next few days; I'm less interested in Thirteenth Tale.

#14  issybird 10-01-2019, 11:58 PM
Quote gmw
I just realised that Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield is not quite twelve months old (release date Dec 2018). This probably goes some way to explaining the price in Canada (but does not explain why the price is fairly standard in Australia).

Would people prefer if I withdraw it and find something else?
We've decided that the publication date is a recommendation. This is fine.

I should have it from OverDrive within the next three weeks myself. I'll note that the Canadian price is cheaper than the US price.

#15  CRussel 10-02-2019, 12:19 AM
Quote Victoria
I nominate Why Shoot a Butler, by Georgette Heyer.

This has been on my list for quite a while. Though I haven’t read it, it sounds like a really fun layered mystery, complete with false turns and herring. Also, many Mobileread members mention Georgette Heyer with near reverence, so I thought it was high time to try her out.

The book is available on Overboard, so I hope that mitigates the rather high cost:
Kobo: $13.59 Ca; $11.19 USD; $12.99 AUD
Kindle: $10.87 USD
Ah, this one is in my Calibre, bought when all the Georgette Heyer books were $1.99. I haven't read it yet, so why not? I'll second it.
(BTW, there IS an Audible version, but it's narrated by one of my "avoid at all costs" narrators, Ulli Birvé. So stick with the eBook.)

#16  CRussel 10-02-2019, 12:28 AM
So far, I'm not coming up with books that "fit". Or rather, I can come up with them, but I've either read it already and have no desire to re-read, or it's not available somewhere, or it's >600 pages. Sigh.

#17  gmw 10-02-2019, 12:40 AM
Quote issybird
We've decided that the publication date is a recommendation. This is fine.

I should have it from OverDrive within the next three weeks myself. I'll note that the Canadian price is cheaper than the US price.
Thanks, given the preferences already indicated, I will leave it in place.

I had it in my head the US price wasn't that far from usual, but it must just have been the other books I was looking at at the time. (Details like price get a bit hazy after you've been staring at pages and pages of books all night. Oh the stress and strain of book shopping. ).

#18  CRussel 10-02-2019, 01:32 AM
FWIW, one of my libraries it's a 6 month wait, gmw. But I checked the other and it's only 2 weeks there.

#19  issybird 10-02-2019, 07:47 AM
Quote CRussel
FWIW, one of my libraries it's a 6 month wait, gmw. But I checked the other and it's only 2 weeks there.
I ran into that disparity with Night Watch. Six months wait at one library, I'm next up at another.

#20  astrangerhere 10-02-2019, 08:31 AM
I will second Heyer and I will make my own recommendation for Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. From the goodreads blurb:

'A narrative particle accelerator that zooms between Wild Turkey Whiskey and Bob Dylan, unicorn skulls and voracious librarians, John Coltrane and Lord Jim. Science fiction, detective story and post-modern manifesto all rolled into one rip-roaring novel, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is the tour de force that expanded Haruki Murakami's international following. Tracking one man's descent into the Kafkaesque underworld of contemporary Tokyo, Murakami unites East and West, tragedy and farce, compassion and detachment, slang and philosophy.'

I'm at work so I can't run prices right now, but the book was published in 1985 and I think would be available at many libraries.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register