Mobileread
recommending Kobo eReader?
#41  chlmccann11 06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
The slightly more expensive Sony ebook reader only stores 350 books, you can't a card to expand the memory, and books purchased from the site are charged to Canadians in USD.
Not a superior product IMO.

Same with the Kindle. Not all ebooks available for Kindle in the US are available to Canadians, because of publishing rights and so on.

For me Kobo was the logical choice. I've already purchased 5 ebooks for it, the prices are cheaper than paperbacks, and I've already purchased my second Kobo as a birthday present for my daughter.

#42  techie42 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote chlmccann11
...I've already purchased 5 ebooks for it, the prices are cheaper than paperbacks, and I've already purchased my second Kobo as a birthday present for my daughter.
I am up to 5 books that I have purchased. There also seems to be a fair number of author's web pages with free ebook down loads too.

And, my daughter is also pushing to have her own Kobo.

#43  Turt99 06-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Quote chlmccann11
The slightly more expensive Sony ebook reader only stores 350 books, you can't a card to expand the memory, and books purchased from the site are charged to Canadians in USD.
Not a superior product IMO.
I got a Kobo on release date, and when my wife saw it she wanted an eReader but wanted a pick one so she got the Sony PRS-300 because it comes in pink.

So we have both readers in the house and I would have to say right now I would say the Sony is the better device. You download books and load them to the device. Its a little faster, it feels tougher, it has a few extra buttons to get around in the menu faster. It has the page turn in the center of the reader for much better one-handed use.

It has a slightly smaller screen and yes it does have limited memory, but go ahead and put more then 350 books on your Kobo and see how easy it is to find a book in the menu.

I really went back and forth before buying my Kobo, and on paper the Kobo is a better reader for me (bigger screen and expandable memory) but sometimes I doubt I made the right choice.

Plus like I said above, if I knew how much I would enjoy eReading I might have had a better look at some of the more expensive readers (ie. the $250 range), then you would have the Sony Touch which gives you the missing feature (screen size and expanding memory) along with speed, touch screen, dictionary etc.

#44  artificial 06-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote Turt99
Plus like I said above, if I knew how much I would enjoy eReading I might have had a better look at some of the more expensive readers (ie. the $250 range)
You make an interesting point. I definitely fall into the category of someone who bought the Kobo Reader based largely on price point, but the attractiveness of the Kobo (and its marketing website) also factored into my decision.

There have been moments when I have doubted my decision to buy a product that clearly wasn't ready for prime time, but on the whole I love the Kobo Reader.

Having experienced eReading I agree I would now be more willing to splurge on a more expensive reading device, but that's the catch 22 isn't it? Until a cheap product like the Kobo entered the market place I hadn't been willing to commit to purchasing an eReader at all, although I had wanted one for several years.

I get the feeling many Kobo Reader owners are in the same camp. I guess time will tell if first time eReader owners will stick with the Kobo or migrate to a more expensive alternative.

Now that the firmware is only a week away, and promises to fix most of the Kobo Reader's 'quirks', I think I'll be quite content with the Kobo, but perhaps I should count myself lucky that I haven't had a Kindle or a Sony to compare it to!

#45  SensualPoet 06-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote Mememememe
Wow, you really get upset over criticisms of Kobo, SensualPoet.
Not at all. I've related my own experience. Not upset in the least. Perhaps you're projecting?

Quote Mememememe
That's right -- they say they support ePub, PDF, and Adobe DRM. They don't do an adequate job of supporting ePubs from sources OTHER than Kobo. They don't do an adequate job of supporting PDFs.
The font issue on non-Kobo acquired ePubs is acknowledged and being fixed (hopefully). They fully support ePubs from their store - including refunds if a customer encounters a bad one. I made my case about PDFs as a poor ebook format in principle -- nothing to do with Kobo. AFAIK, Adobe DRM is fully supported; no one has reported (that I've seen) that Adobe DRM "breaks" on a Kobo.

Quote Mememememe
YOU are the one advocating buying only from Kobo. You keep saying "people wouldn't have a problem if they just stuck with Kobo files. And right now, that's the only option that isn't fraught with problems.
Yes, I am advocating buying a Kobo; this is the recommend or not? thread. I am NOT advocating buying ePubs only from Kobo. I am a strong supporter of using the Kobo to access the public library. Many of the library titles I've downloaded work fine. Every single ePub I have purchased from Fictionwise works flawlessly on my Kobo.

Quote Mememememe
Plus, Kobo readers tend to crap out on people. You can deny it all you want, but they're getting a fair amount of returns of frozen units. Hardly a great selling point.
Well, perhaps you have better info than I do; I am not privy to Kobo return rates based on faulty hardware. I can see from reading this discussion forum that many people experiencing issues have NOT installed the software, or manipulated the Kobo on device memory directly (drag n drop), or used 3rd party tools to add ePubs instead of ADE. Some people have completely deleted all the files on their Kobo before installing the desktop software. I have faulted Kobo on poor user documentation.

Quote Mememememe
Seriously, do you work for Kobo? Because you get irrationally upset anytime someone doesn't put on the pompoms and cheer for your boys. It's just an ereader -- don't take it so seriously.
Nope, I don't work for Kobo. If you really believe I "get irrationally upset anytime someone doesn't put on the pompoms and cheer for your boys", I'd love to see the evidence. I am certain you will find none.

I do find it curious that few posters who have had problems of whom I have asked "did you contact tech support?", have replied. One chap dismissed the idea saying they couldn't be bothered to wait for an answer -- after using Calibre to fool around with a book he'd bought from Kobo instead of simply transferring it with the Kobo software to his reader and just enjoying it.

As you will see from my profile, I have a Kindle 2 as well; the Kindle 2 is a more robust device and I recommend it highly. That does not detract from the great things the Kobo offers, and generally delivers, if the buyer sticks to expectations of what s/he's buying: an entry level reader for an entry level price.

#46  dwprice 06-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I enjoy my KOBO.

In the past I've been a techie but I can't be bothered anymore. I read all free books from Gutenberg or the public library etc. I read textbooks as PDFs (I found reading them as landscape is most comfortable, I can zoom in)

I don't bother with style sheets. Just like real books have issues, so do some of the e-books. I hold the ereader a little closer.

Frankly I'm pleased that the Kobo people acknowledge issues and work on fixes. If they release the firmware update on time, kudos to them.

I really don't get all the chest-beating anxiety on this site. if you have buyer remorse, return it. If you can appreciate what it has to offer, fantastic. Reporting issues is certainly important... but constant harangues only keep you miserable. Get a grip on your anxiety or you'll have a stroke.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register