Mobileread
Burroughs, Edgar Rice: I Am A Barbarian v1. 11 Apr 07
#1  tsgreer 04-12-2007, 12:18 AM
This is a lesser known Edgar Rice Burroughs story about a man named Britannicus. He was a slave for 25 years and belonged to Caligula, who was emperor of Rome from A.D. 37 to 41.

Caligula, as far as we know, was insane. This made life for Britannicus a bit tricky. I only just started reading it so the verdict is out on if I like it or not.

Ok, go easy on me, this is my first book posting. I also created my own cover for this e-book edition. (If interested: I roughed out a quick little sketch in charcoal and pastels, scanned it in and then laid out the info for the cover.)

I also put a blurb on the cover regarding mobileread.com in case the book "escapes" our readers and gets out in the real world, I figured it would be nice if everyone knows where it came from.

Please let me know if I broke any rules regarding the mobileread.com logo and image. I'm allowing my artwork for this to be public domain so no worries.

I'm on a Mac, so I don't have access to Book Designer or anything as advanced. I use "Libriate" and it doesn't offer me any options to adjust font size or anything. But the formatting is pretty clean. Comments are always welcome though

#2  tsgreer 04-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Ok, guys, so I spend ALL evening working the cover, getting the book formatted, and then right after I post, I realize that this book may not be public domain!!! Grrrr..

I was so into it and just assumed that all of Burroughs stuff was public domain. I have no excuse other than it's really late and past my bedtime! Ahhh, nothing like my very first book posting to pointless. Sorry!

#3  TadW 04-12-2007, 04:34 AM
Thanks anyways... it was well meant!

#4  NatCh 04-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Good show, wanting to check it, tsgreer, I do hope it turns out that it's PD. You've got me really curious about the cover art you came up with, though!

#5  tsgreer 04-12-2007, 09:23 AM
I can't find anything that says it's PD.

But I can post the cover art here if you want me to. Maybe someone can see it as a use for a cover for a book they are planning on posting. It's currently a black and white .gif file, proportioned for the Reader. I can post with my current text on it, but I can change the title and author if someone wants to use. It's free of course..

Is it ok to post the cover art here? I may as well get some use out of this painting. Maybe Harry could use for some upcoming Haggard stories?

#6  RWood 04-12-2007, 09:46 AM
It took me three tries to post my first book at MobileRead. I didn't read the error messages correctly. Thankfully a few nice people were kind enough to point out that I had posted about a book but failed to include the book.

#7  HarryT 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
No, I'm afraid this book very definitely isn't in the public domain - thanks for removing it! Burroughs died in 1950 (which means that all the works published during his lifetime are in the public domain in "Life + 50" copyright law countries, such as Australia), but "I Am a Barbarian" was a posthumous work, not published until 1967, so it's very definitely not PD, unfortunately!

#8  tsgreer 04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks Harry, that's what threw me off. He wrote it in 1947, but I wasn't aware 1967 was the first published date. Actually I don't even know where I got it now that I am researching! It's in my folder with the rest of his stuff, but I promise to check before I post next time.

I caught it right after I posted, but I should have double-checked before posting. Lesson learned. Thanks Harry! See? You inspired me so much, that I was rushing and not thinking...

Ok, so can I at least do the Moon Men then? I already have an idea for the cover...

#9  HarryT 04-12-2007, 01:10 PM
You don't need my permission - do whatever takes your fancy . I'll carry on with my "bare bones" Tarzan stuff, but I've no plans to do any other Burroughs stuff in the immediate future.

#10  Bob Russell 04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
.... but what about the cover art you did. Can you share that with us?

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register