Mobileread
*VERY* detailed guide on changing default Reader fonts
#11  Valloric 09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Quote Rontonio
Hi. I went through the entire process, word by word. At the point on page 8, where I clicked "Customize" I got an error message: "An exception of class NilObject Extension was not handled. Application must shut down." I figured the SD card file might still contain the right files, but there was no files.505.1.1.00.18040 folder. What now? I already purchased Caecilia, and hope I can get this thing figured-out. Thanks for your help.
Rontonio, I've actually seen this error a few times myself, usually after using PRSC once already and populating the sdcard folder. My solution was to just delete the whole folder where PRSC was extracted and then re-extract PRSC again (into a new folder).

Basically, it's some kind of weird bug in PRSC. Deleting it and extracting again solves it.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't, report back here.

EDIT: Also, why buy Caecilia? I mean, it's nicer than the Bitstream Vera Serif that is used in the guide, but not by much. I happened to have the font for business reasons so I used it, but I would have definitely went with Vera Serif had I not had it lying around. Vera Serif is free, Caecilia is 30$.

#12  Rontonio 09-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I extracted the file again, filled-out the customization box, and it worked this time. Who knows? Thanks for your prompt response, Valloric. The reader looks great, and my books are definitely easier to read with Caecilia 55 Roman.
I didn't go with the Vera Serif since by looking at your graphic I wasn't sure it was that much of an improvement over Dutch. I had also considered Georgia, but frankly I didn't want to have to go through the process twice if wasn't satisfied with whatever font I chose. I've seen the Kindle and liked the font so I just made the decision to go with Caecilia. It's a huge improvement over the original Dutch. I'm quite sure Vera Serif would have been, too.
I appreciate your help. Thank you

#13  Valloric 09-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Quote Rontonio
I appreciate your help. Thank you
Not a problem, glad to help.

#14  Rontonio 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM
After doing some reading at lunch I see that words, and even entire lines are missing after some page turns. I originally flashed an empty reader and reloaded the books after installing the new font, but maybe I needed to reload the original book files rather than those from the Reader with the Dutch font?

#15  igorsk 09-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Make sure you use identical fonts on the Reader and in the eBook Library. Also, clear the cache.xml or reupload books using eBook Library to repaginate them.

#16  Valloric 09-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Quote Rontonio
After doing some reading at lunch I see that words, and even entire lines are missing after some page turns. I originally flashed an empty reader and reloaded the books after installing the new font, but maybe I needed to reload the original book files rather than those from the Reader with the Dutch font?
Yes, that is the correct procedure. After reading that section of the guide, it does seem a bit ambiguous. Will update that tomorrow.

And yes, if you use Sony's eBook Library to transfer ebooks to the Reader, you need to replace its fonts as well since it will paginate books when you transfer them in the fonts the library itself uses. I'll note that in the new version of the guide too.

I use calibre so it slipped my mind to mention that.

#17  Rontonio 09-03-2008, 09:49 PM
By identical fonts do you mean the Caecilia that I renamed Dutch with the Font Creator program to trick the reader when I installed the hack? Also, how do I get the new font into the reader library? Delete the cache .xml on the reader?

#18  igorsk 09-04-2008, 07:14 AM
The files in "\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\fonts" should be exactly the same as the ones you upload to the Reader.

#19  Valloric 09-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Quote Rontonio
By identical fonts do you mean the Caecilia that I renamed Dutch with the Font Creator program to trick the reader when I installed the hack? Also, how do I get the new font into the reader library? Delete the cache .xml on the reader?
Quote igorsk
The files in "\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\fonts" should be exactly the same as the ones you upload to the Reader.
This is already in the guide: Appendix E, page 17.

#20  Rontonio 09-04-2008, 11:55 AM
OK. It's all much clearer now. Last night I dragged the book files from my HD directly into the Reader and the device formatted the books correctly. I have replaced the font file in the eBook library with the one I created for the Reader as you suggested. It should all be good now. I really like the new font, and appreciate the clock. Thanks again.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/28)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register