Mobileread
Is there a tool to fix improperly-formatted epubs?
#1  Blrp 09-12-2019, 09:19 PM
I created an ebook using this online url-to-epub tool, then edited it to not look horrible using Calibre. When I try to upload it to My Books on Google Play, it says "processing failed". I used this epub validator tool and it finds a bunch of errors (e.g. Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "version" or "xml:lang"), yet the file reads just fine in Calibre.

Is there some tool that leaves the contents untouched but fixes the file so that it's properly formatted and can be read by programs that are more picky than Calibre?
[epub] Life of Homer - Pseudo-Herodotus.epub (98.5 KB, 16 views)

#2  JSWolf 09-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Quote Blrp
I created an ebook using this online url-to-epub tool, then edited it to not look horrible using Calibre. When I try to upload it to My Books on Google Play, it says "processing failed". I used this epub validator tool and it finds a bunch of errors (e.g. Error while parsing file: attribute "class" not allowed here; expected attribute "version" or "xml:lang"), yet the file reads just fine in Calibre.

Is there some tool that leaves the contents untouched but fixes the file so that it's properly formatted and can be read by programs that are more picky than Calibre?
Install the epubcheck editor plugin for Calibre. Then you can check for errors. You can click on the error messages to go to where the errors are and then fix them. It's running the latest epubcheck.

The online validator is worthless because it's not running the latest epubcheck. The plugin uses the latest epubcheck and is updated much faster when a new version comes out.

#3  Blrp 09-13-2019, 03:48 PM
I don't know how to fix all these errors. I understand just enough to be able to use trial and error to remove things that make the book look like shit.

#4  stumped 09-13-2019, 04:07 PM
Your books look like s**t probably because you are starting with a crap, free tool.

Find a better method for turning web pages into books.

You could try the send to kindle plugin, then convert kindle to epub, or saving the (simplified view if possible) web page in various convertible formats. Or a simple cut and paste into word, then save as docx and convert that after tweaking it to look good.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register