Mobileread
Glowlight 3, Can You Use Current Book as Screensaver Yet?
#1  Thargor 07-28-2019, 06:02 PM
Finding it difficult to Google an answer to this so Ill just ask, can you use the cover of the current book you're reading as the screensaver on the Glowlight 3?

#2  Sirtel 07-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Quote Thargor
Finding it difficult to Google an answer to this so Ill just ask, can you use the cover of the current book you're reading as the screensaver on the Glowlight 3?
Nope.

#3  Raphi'Elohim 08-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Quote Thargor
Maybe, because the device is easy to root -- I can conceive a java coding hack that might be able to do it but that is a new frontier no one has taken , yet.

#4  ZodWallop 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Quote Raphi'Elohim
Maybe, because the device is easy to root -- I can conceive a java coding hack that might be able to do it but that is a new frontier no one has taken, yet.
I do wish that hackers were as interested in the Nook as the Kobo. I like the Nook, but would like to see some subtle tweaks. Ability to use the cover of your current book as the sleep screen and ability to show series in your library would be nice.

In general, the Kobo's out-of-the-box firmware is better than the Nook and the hacks you can make to it improve it even more so.

#5  Sirtel 08-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Quote ZodWallop
I do wish that hackers were as interested in the Nook as the Kobo. I like the Nook, but would like to see some subtle tweaks. Ability to use the cover of your current book as the sleep screen and ability to show series in your library would be nice.

In general, the Kobo's out-of-the-box firmware is better than the Nook and the hacks you can make to it improve it even more so.
I would like to see the option to set full page refresh every page. I have it turned on on my Kindles, to keep the text as dark as possible. I miss it on the Nook.

#6  DNSB 08-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Quote ZodWallop
The difference between a easily modified open system and a locked down system. And, no offence intended, but the two features you mention are part of the factory Kobo firmware as is the the ability to add a screensavers directory that will be used to supply random sleep/power off screen images for those who do not want a blank screen or the the book cover. No hacking needed.

And possibly the greatest (IMNSHO) feature of Kobo's firmware is the ability to trigger a factory reset for those times when an ereader has been turned into a paperweight which I managed a few times when having fun with firmware.

#7  ZodWallop 08-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Quote DNSB
...no offence intended, but the two features you mention are part of the factory Kobo firmware...
Yes, I'm well aware*. I was talking about the Nook.

*Though I do believe the ability to show series info for sideloaded books on Kobo requires the Kobo extended driver, right?

Nook shows series info for books purchased from B&N, just not for sideloaded books.

#8  Ryzir 08-13-2019, 03:29 PM
Quote Raphi'Elohim
Maybe, because the device is easy to root -- I can conceive a java coding hack that might be able to do it but that is a new frontier no one has taken , yet.
Renate over on XDA has figured out some ways to change the screensaver.

Oh! I figured something out. I looked through the code.
If you just want to have one screensaver of your own (which you could manually change).
All you have to do is change some undocumented settings.

File: /data/data/com.nook.partner/shared_prefs/screen_saver_preference.xml

Code
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<map> <boolean name="pref_key_screen_saver_from_sdcard" value="true" /> <string name="pref_key_screen_saver_from_path">/sdcard/sleep.png</string> <boolean name="pref_key_screen_saver_low_power" value="false" /> <int name="key_screensaver_img_index" value="8" />
</map>
I've used this on my rooted GL3 to set my current book cover as the screensaver. I'll have to manually change it when I start a new book though.

#9  jackie_w 08-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Quote ZodWallop
*Though I do believe the ability to show series info for sideloaded books on Kobo requires the Kobo extended driver, right?
Almost, but not quite. Calibre does all the work but either of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended drivers (properly configured) will do the job.

#10  DNSB 08-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Quote ZodWallop

Nook shows series info for books purchased from B&N, just not for sideloaded books.
You do need to insert the series data into the database for sideloaded books as only books synchronized from Kobo do this automatically -- there is no standardized metadata for series information though I have noted several ebooks that made use of calibre's method of adding series metadata.

calibre and either of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended drivers will handle this task (the actual code needed comes from the KoboTouch code base). Back before I sold out to the dark side and switched to using calibre, I inserted the series information using a batch file, a text file and an SQLite database manager. Ahh... the good old days. Not.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register