Mobileread
Sigil for Mac & macOS 10.15 Catalina
#11  DNSB 10-15-2019, 03:31 PM
For what it's worth, I cloned my Mojave VM and updated the clone to Catalina over the weekend (long weekend here for Thanksgiving). Calibre 4.1 and Sigil 9.1.8 downloaded, installed and ran with the usual Mac query over trusting the application. Now I just need to clean out the remaining 32-bit apps.

#12  odamizu 10-15-2019, 04:44 PM
It does appear that the notarization requirement is not as stringent as Apple first implied, and KevinH and DiapDealer can leave Sigil unnotarized if notarization turns out to be too much of a pain in the behind

#13  DiapDealer 10-15-2019, 04:59 PM
I'm determined not to pay the extortion money they want to keep Windows from popping warnings about unknown publishers.

It's not really even the money at this point (though the prices ARE ridiculous--and getting more so). It's the hoops I would have to jump through and the documents I would have to provide just to be allowed to spend too much money on a certificate (assuming one doesn't want to get a fly-by-night cert). All just to eliminate a pop-up warning that can be easily dismissed. I'm not p(l)aying.

#14  odamizu 10-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Is Apple charging a fee for notarization?!

#15  BetterRed 10-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Apparently so, for popup Windows only

#16  DiapDealer 10-15-2019, 05:57 PM
I don't know if Apple charges for notarization. I was referring to Windows and all the various certification issuers they're in cahoots with to get software devs to pay exorbitant fees for codesigning certs so they won't be an "unknown publisher" any more.

#17  kovidgoyal 10-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Apple does not charge for notarization but for notarization to work you need an active Apple developer subscription which costs $99 a year, so effectively you pay Apple a hundred dollars a year for notarization. With only codesigning, you could let the developer account lapse, renewing it only once every 5 years when the codesigning key expires, so the effective cost was $20 a year.

On Windows, you have to pay a third party, not microsoft, for a codesigning certificate, and the cost varies from about $50 to $100 a year.

#18  Vroni 10-16-2019, 04:38 AM
Uhhh this is becoming offtopic, but just to be sure i understood this correctly: The notarizitaion is only for apps not being solf through the app store to get rif of the message "You downloaded it from the internet and unsafe blablablabla Are you sure? blablabla?"

#19  odamizu 10-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Yes, notarization is only for apps distributed outside the App Store. Apps distributed inside the App Store have a different screening process.

When notarization was first announced, Apple implied that apps would not run at all on Catalina if they weren't notarized, which posed a problem for apps like Sigil if notarization proved too much of a pain in the behind for developers to implement.

Discussion on the Internet suggested there would be ways around notarization, including resorting to a Terminal command to disable Gatekeeper. Fortunately, that's not necessary as Apple has provided a simple, straightforward way around it.

#20  odamizu 10-21-2019, 03:21 AM
Hmmmm ... According to Oracle: "Eventually (as of January 2020), you will only be able to install and run Mac software distributed outside the Mac App store on macOS 10.15 systems that are notarized by Apple."

This is consistent with Apple's Sept 3 statement: "Mac software distributed outside the Mac App Store must be notarized by Apple in order to run on macOS Catalina. To make this transition easier and to protect users on macOS Catalina who continue to use older versions of software, we’ve adjusted the notarization prerequisites until January 2020."

This is a bit in contradiction to Apple's Oct 7 support document providing instructions to override Gatekeeper and run unsigned/unnotarized apps.

I suppose we just have to wait until January to see if Apple is indeed going to close the door to unsigned/unnotarized apps

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register