Mobileread
From tablet to e-paper
#1  Xwang 09-17-2020, 08:50 AM
Hi to all!
Since some years I read magazines and technical books on my asus me302kl 10" tablet. Both magazines and books are PDF files stored on an USB pen drive.
The only real problem is when I try to read outside because despite the anti glare cover it is difficult to read in such a situation.
So I'm wondering if it is the case to move to a device with an e-paper display, but I would like to spend no more than 200€.
Any suggestion?

#2  Pajamaman 09-17-2020, 10:24 AM
At that price point, maybe look for a used Likebook or Onyx on ebay. You could read PDF in landscape.

I mean a 9.7".

#3  JSWolf 09-17-2020, 10:27 AM
Quote Pajamaman
At that price point, maybe look for a used Likebook or Onyx on ebay. You could read PDF in landscape.
At that price point, the screen is too small for technical PDF. Reading landscape is not a good idea.

The thing to do is save up for a 10.3" Pocketbook or a 13.3" Onyx Boox Max (the new one forthcoming with the front light).

#4  ottischwenk 09-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Quote JSWolf
The thing to do is save up for a 10.3" Pocketbook
I would prefer Likebook Alita - 10.3 Inch

#5  Xwang 09-17-2020, 11:08 AM
Thank you for the suggestion, but they are too much expensive. I'll wait for cheaper alternatives or in case I found some of them used.

#6  JSWolf 09-17-2020, 11:27 AM
Quote Xwang
Thank you for the suggestion, but they are too much expensive. I'll wait for cheaper alternatives or in case I found some of them used.
That's the problem with PDF and eInk. You need a large screen to be able to read PDF. 6" is too small. And at your budget, you will have to save some.

#7  Pajamaman 09-17-2020, 11:37 AM
I can see two used 9.7" Onyx M92s on ebay for that price. They're old, but Onyx hardware is pretty study, but you never know with old kit. It's the chance you take. A4 PDF would be okay in landscape. I read PDF on a 9.7" tablet in landscape all the time.

#8  ottischwenk 09-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Quote Xwang
Likebook Mars is 7.8 inch and has the same number of pixels as the 10.3 inch devices.
You just have to read closer.

#9  Xwang 09-17-2020, 12:50 PM
Quote Pajamaman
I can see two used 9.7" Onyx M92s on ebay for that price. They're old, but Onyx hardware is pretty study, but you never know with old kit. It's the chance you take. A4 PDF would be okay in landscape. I read PDF on a 9.7" tablet in landscape all the time.
On my tablet I rad in portrait mode without issues, so I do not think that the being 1" smaller would be a problem. I will have a look at them.

#10  mobama 09-19-2020, 05:30 PM
Quote Xwang
On my tablet I rad in portrait mode without issues, so I do not think that the being 1" smaller would be a problem. I will have a look at them.
An inch may not make a big difference, but the loss of resolution may make a big difference. 9.7" eink screens are 150 dpi, the worst. 7.8" screens are 300 dpi, the best. 10.3" is 227 or so, good enough.

This forum has a flea market section. Some tolerable option may turn up there.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register