Mobileread
Microsoft Surface Duo with Kindle
#1  poczynek 08-29-2020, 01:18 AM
So i already have a Kobo Forma and love it.

However i have ordered the new Duo and it looks to be a great device for reading too with each page like a book and the Kindle app compatible.

Anyone else getting the Duo?

#2  Gibbo 08-29-2020, 03:38 AM
Quote poczynek
So i already have a Kobo Forma and love it.

However i have ordered the new Duo and it looks to be a great device for reading too with each page like a book and the Kindle app compatible.

If I had money to spare maybe...

#3  pata 09-03-2020, 02:34 AM
Quote poczynek
If I had money to spare definitely!

#4  hobnail 09-03-2020, 02:27 PM
I missed the part about the Kindle app being updated to support the dual screens on the Duo.

I prefer reading on eink but maybe this is the innovation we can hope for from Kobo and Amazon, a folding dual screen eink device.

#5  pata 09-10-2020, 08:39 AM
Quote hobnail
I missed the part about the Kindle app being updated to support the dual screens on the Duo.
Kindle on the Duo:
show attachment »

Kindle on the Fold (from The Verge video review @6:27):
show attachment »

The Duo is the lightest and thinnest tablet on market and has highest DPI* as well. I was hyped for the Samsung Fold last year but they didn’t get the experience right; just look at that photo — you have to hold it in landscape to get the tablet experience (i.e. with the crease running horizontally instead of naturally along a book’s spine). I expect the reviews coming after the embargo is lifted today will say the Duo is not worth the price for a phone, that the camera is poor etc but as a Kindle/Graphic novel reader it looks amazing too me

**excluding the Huawei folding phone which doesn’t have Google Play/ Kindle anyway)

#6  pata 09-10-2020, 07:54 PM
So I might have gotten hyped too quickly. The previous pictures were of optimized apps; the Kindle on the Duo looks great. I heard unoptimized apps that try to span across the two displays were wonky but I thought that was just the controls. Once you started reading how bad could it be, right? Here's a screen grab from MrMobile's review:

show attachment »

Instead of half of the content shown on each side of the screen, unoptimized apps see one whole screen and content is missing in the middle where the hinge is. Microsoft presents the hinge space as part of the screen So I do have to wait for every pdf/comic/manga app to update with span support...

#7  hobnail 09-10-2020, 09:18 PM
What was the app they're using in the MrMobile review? I'm wondering how it would look with a comic book made for a Kindle.

#8  pata 09-11-2020, 05:54 AM
Quote pata
The previous pictures were of optimized apps; the Kindle on the Duo looks great.

Instead of half of the content shown on each side of the screen, unoptimized apps see one whole screen and content is missing in the middle where the hinge is. Microsoft presents the hinge space as part of the screen So I do have to wait for every pdf/comic/manga app to update with span support...
It's worse than I thought. Even the optimized Kindle app doesn't figure out the hinge:
show attachment »

(that title across the spine is supposed to be 'Evil Geniuses' not 'Evil Uses').

And this is by design!?
Bad: Apps that simply expand to fullscreen are somewhat impaired. For instance, if you're browsing the web on Edge or Chrome in spanned mode, the hinge actually hides the pixels that would normally be there. This can be really annoying if you're reading an article in "book mode" and a word falls between the two screens; letters go missing. Your brain can usually fill in the blank. But when it doesn't — I hate to be that guy — but it (ahem) takes you out of your flow. There's an imperfect workaround for this, dare I say, optimization, which Groene tells me was intentionally designed this way and isn't a flaw: rotate the device to "Nintendo DS mode" as I like to call it. Swiping up and down on an article with the hinge's seam running horizontally instead of vertically still cuts off pixels, but it's less disorienting.

Perplexing video

I'd rather deal with the Samsung Fold hole punch than this mess

#9  JSWolf 09-11-2020, 06:18 AM
For the price of the Microsoft Duo, I'd rather something that runs a full version of Windows 10. I'd rather spend the extra and get a Surface.

#10  hobnail 09-11-2020, 12:13 PM
Quote pata
It's worse than I thought. Even the optimized Kindle app doesn't figure out the hinge:
That's easy to fix though; maybe in the next update for it. Having the optimized Kindle app available when the Duo is released is great. That's one of the things that's nice about Microsoft; they provide pre-release units to software developers. Same as they do with their software.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register