Mobileread
Notable quotes, excerpts, and profound lines.
#3971  Uncle Robin 03-06-2020, 04:54 AM
Quote desizm
Music should come crashing out of your speakers and grab you, and the lyrics should challenge whatever preconceived notions that the listener has.
Hum dekhenge (we will see) Faiz Ahmad Faiz

#3972  covingtoncat73 03-11-2020, 04:08 PM
"The Bible could not imagine a scenario in which God reprents of having created Homo sapiens, wipes this sinful ape off the face of the earth, and then spends eternity enjoying the antics of ostriches, kangaroos and panda bears."

~Yuval Noah Harari, Homo Deus

#3973  gmw 03-17-2020, 08:23 AM
A couple of quotes from: Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil (2016)
Like gods, these mathematical models were opaque, their workings invisible to all but the highest priests in their domain: mathematicians and computer scientists. Their verdicts, even when wrong or harmful, were beyond dispute or appeal. And they tended to punish the poor and the oppressed in our society, while making the rich richer.
[...] wealth is no longer a means to get by. It becomes directly tied to personal worth. A young suburbanite with every advantage—the prep school education, the exhaustive coaching for college admissions tests, the overseas semester in Paris or Shanghai—still flatters himself that it is his skill, hard work, and prodigious problem-solving abilities that have lifted him into a world of privilege. Money vindicates all doubts. And the rest of his circle plays along, forming a mutual admiration society. They’re eager to convince us all that Darwinism is at work, when it looks very much to the outside like a combination of gaming a system and dumb luck.

#3974  covingtoncat73 03-21-2020, 09:01 AM
"You must stay drink on writing so reality cannot destroy you." - Ray Bradbury

#3975  covingtoncat73 03-26-2020, 10:52 PM
From "Norse Mythology" by Neil Gaiman -

"“None of this matters. The world is burning,” says Loki. “The mortals are dead. Midgard is destroyed. I have won.”

“I can see further than you can, Loki. I can see all the way to the world-tree,” Heimdall will tell him with his last breath. “Surtr’s fire cannot touch the world-tree, and two people have hidden themselves safely in the trunk of Yggdrasil. The woman is called Life, the man is called Life’s Yearning. Their descendants will populate the earth. It is not the end. There is no end. It is simply the end of the old times, Loki, and the beginning of the new times. Rebirth always follows death. You have failed.”"

#3976  BenG 03-28-2020, 02:24 PM
He tucked a pillow beneath his chin. "I've posted notices asking that everyone conserve lavatory paper, but it's done no good at all. The Americans are particularly wasteful." He tugged the pillow slip up over the pillow. "I do feel rather sorry for them, though. Helen came down with it last night, you know, and they haven't any alternates."

― Connie Willis, The Doomsday Book, 1992

#3977  covingtoncat73 04-05-2020, 09:50 AM
From "The Pursuit of William Abbey" by Claire North -

"“They say I’m cursed.”

“Do you believe them?”

“Yes. I do.”

To my surprise, he smiled, and patted me on the back. “You are absolutely correct, Dr Abbey. It is marvellous.”

He sprang back to his feet as if propelled by a catapult, slung his jacket over one arm and his shoes round his neck, and gave his fiercest battle cry: “Now we drink iced beverages and celebrate."

#3978  gmw 04-06-2020, 10:42 AM
‘I didn’t have white hair in those days,’ said Granny.

‘Everything was a different colour in those days.’

‘That’s true.’

‘It didn’t rain so much in the summer time.’

‘The sunsets were redder.’

‘There were more old people. The world was full of them,’ said the wizard.

‘Yes, I know. And now it’s full of young people. Funny, really. I mean, you’d expect it to be the other way round.’
-- Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites, (1987)

#3979  covingtoncat73 04-06-2020, 04:57 PM
From "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August" by Claire North

"Born some time in the mid-1920s, at her oldest she had lived to see planes fly into the World Trade Center. 'I remember thinking,' she would say, 'how frustrating it was that I wouldn’t live long enough to see what happened next.”'But she interrogated the kalachakra of the Club, the younger members, those born in the 1980s and 1990s, who shook their heads sadly and said, 'You’re not missing anything.'"

#3980  covingtoncat73 05-31-2020, 10:29 AM
From "The Stone of Farewell: Book Two of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" by Tad Williams -

"Whole nations seemingly on the march , topsy-turvy weather, mad men ruling and dire legends come to life—"

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (398/399)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register