Mobileread
Dan Brown Books
#1  saw9000 04-22-2003, 11:03 AM
I have been reading various books by Dan Brown, all purchased from Palm Digital Media. I just happened to visit their front site and notice that among their top fifteen sellers, his books occupy three slots.

I have read Crypto and Angels and Demons so far, and both kept me spellbound, page after page. I don't remember the last time I decided to read until I couldn't hold my eyes open any more, no matter how sleepy I would be the next day. Even though the writing is on widely varied topics, the quality is invariably high.

Books Currently Available at PDM
The DaVinci Code
Angels and Demons
Deception Point
Digital Fortress
Scott

#2  phlyphish 06-03-2003, 06:32 PM
The first Dan Brown book I read was Digital Fortress, and like saw9000, I lost lots of sleep from not being able to put it down. I promptly picked up Angels and Demons with the same result. I recently read the DaVinci Code and still can't decide which of his books is the best. They all held me spellbound from start to finish. Don't miss Dan Brown, but make sure you don't have any important committments the next day; you'll be groggy at best.

#3  mochant 07-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Dan Brown has been a long time favorite of mine. He researches his topics well and it's nice to see him finally getting the recognition he deserves with the DaVinci Code. Digital Fortress is a good one too.

#4  RockerChick 07-12-2003, 12:22 PM
What 'type' of books are they? Mystery, it sounds like...

#5  mochant 07-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by RockerChick
What 'type' of books are they? Mystery, it sounds like...
Not exactly. If you're familiar with a book called "The Eight" by Katherine Neville, that's about the best analogy I can make. Brown writes what I guess would be described as historical thrillers. His books have (to one degree or another) a lot of historical information (sometimes recent, other times dating way back in time) but generally take place in the present. They typically have very intricate plots with two or thre story lines going and different locales around the world.

Character development is secondary -- not bad -- I wouldn't call his characters one dimensional, bit the plot definitely is where he focuses his energies.

If you want to try one, I'd strongly suggest the DaVinci Code as the place to start. It's definitely his best effort yet. Angels and Demons is my other favorite but I have genuinely enjoyed all of his books.

#6  Alexander Turcic 11-04-2003, 05:00 PM
Quote mochant
Angels and Demons is my other favorite but I have genuinely enjoyed all of his books.
I just finished reading A&D, which was my first Dan Brown book. It is also the first book featuring Robert Langdon, the very-much likeable Indiana Jones hero of "The DaVinci Code." It was a good read; but to really enjoy the plot, I had to ignore the heavy religious sentiments and "miracles" (especially towards the end of the story).

If you are into this kind of conspiracy stories (centuries-old secret society vs. the Vatican), I recommend that you also check out Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.

#7  Zire 11-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Starting to read the da vinchi code on my visor prism...read alot of books on it already.

#8  Chick2horse 11-21-2003, 09:56 PM
What is the book Angels And Demons about

#9  sUnShInE 01-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I just finished TDC, which someone gave me over the Xmas holiday.

Knowing that Hollyweird must have dug their claws in there somewhere, I checked out IMDB. Sure enough: Ron Howard has just been slated to direct the upcoming film adaptation, due out in '05. The screenplay is being written by Akiva Goldsmith of "Beautiful Mind" fame.

#10  Alexander Turcic 02-19-2004, 07:50 AM
Fictionwise has currently (Feb 19 '04) a 35% off special on all Dan Brown books.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register