Mobileread
Quickly tagging/categorizing books via keyboard
#1  kirk8677 05-22-2020, 11:48 PM
Hello everyone! I finally collected all of my ebooks in Calibre (I have many cookbooks). The problem is, I probably only care about 20% of the books I have and I want to quickly sort them between "keepers" and "archivers".

The simplest thing would be to go through them one by one and tag each one as such. The problem I am having is that it is quite cumbersome to do this, as I either need to drag each book individually to the tag, or edit the metadata. Both take a long time. I'd ideally just like to do it quickly with the keyboard, but I can't find anyway to do so. If anyone has ideas please let me know! Thanks.

#2  kovidgoyal 05-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Press F2 to edit any cell in the books list

#3  kirk8677 05-23-2020, 01:01 AM
Thank you! Also thank you for creating this incredible product. It's wonderful!

Regarding the suggestion, I was hoping to literally press one key to tag a book with something e.g. control-k tags "keeper". I have thousands of books to go through Not sure if this is possible.

#4  kovidgoyal 05-23-2020, 01:40 AM
just select the books you want tagged by ctrl+click or shift + arrow key. The click edit metadata which will open the bulk metadata edit dialog and apply the tag you want.

#5  kirk8677 05-23-2020, 12:43 PM
Thank you! I was hoping for something even quicker from the keyboard, something like command M to mark the book but to select from multiple tags or ratings.

(It still takes a long time even to edit bulk metadata.)

#6  BetterRed 05-24-2020, 08:18 PM
Moderator Notice
Unlocked

BR

#7  beaLollina 05-31-2020, 06:46 AM
Quote kirk8677
Thank you! I was hoping for something even quicker from the keyboard, something like command M to mark the book but to select from multiple tags or ratings.

(It still takes a long time even to edit bulk metadata.)
Hi! I read your thread and I have 2 suggestion for you. (English is not may native language, so I'm sorry if it's not fully correct)

As I can see, you need to point out some of your books, you want to do it quickly while you roll by the book list, since you need to apply just 2 values I suggest you to add a custom column, Y/F type, to differentiate quickly each of the two types.

Or, you can just mark them as you said CTRL+M so you can select just the "keepers" (or the other one) little by little, edit in bulk and then automatically select all the others and edit them too. I think there's no a way to tag a book with the keyboard.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register