Mobileread
Sci-Fi Romance?
#11  hobnail 03-23-2020, 09:11 PM
For fantasy romance I liked the earlier ones set in the nine kingdoms by Lynn Kurland. About halfway or so through the series they started getting a bit formulaic but the first few I liked a lot; she's set herself a requirement to write one a year or somesuch.

#12  gmw 03-24-2020, 02:40 AM
Quote hildea
[...]<off topic>

"hahaha"

"guilty pleasure"

Sigh. I really wish romance wasn't seen as ridiculuos or something to feel ashamed of.
But on that note, it matches up well with Sci Fi: both cover a huge range of stories, and the stigma of the lesser infects the better.

#13  John F 03-24-2020, 06:54 AM
The In Death series by J. D. Robb (Nora Roberts)? I haven't read them, but was under the impression that they were Sci-Fi and romance.

#14  theducks 03-24-2020, 12:34 PM
Quote John F
The In Death series by J. D. Robb (Nora Roberts)? I haven't read them, but was under the impression that they were Sci-Fi and romance.
They are good.
The SF element is mostly that they are set in the Future:
Air (capable) cars, Space Habitats

I would start reading order (spoilers if you don't), then it probably does not matter after the firs 10 (have not read many past that point)

#15  hildea 03-24-2020, 03:20 PM
Some fantasy with romance:

Mary Robinette Kowal: Shades of Milk and Honey
(often described as Jane Austen with magic)

Lois McMaster Bujold: The Talisman Ring
(Renaissance-ish Italy)

Patricia Wrede: A Matter of Magic
(Regency with magic)

K.J. Charles: The Magpie Lord
1800s England with magic. Some explicit sex scenes. The author has made the first book in the series free now because of the epidemic. Enemies to lovers.
He looked like a clerk, the ten-a-penny kind who drudged in every counting house, except that he had tawny-gold eyes that were vividly glowing in his pale rigid face, and they were staring at Crane with something that looked extraordinarily like hate.
“I’m Lucien Vaudrey,” said Crane, extending his hand.
“You’re Lord Crane,” said the visitor, not extending his. “I had to be sure. But you’re a Vaudrey of Lychdale, aren’t you?”
Crane looked at the naked hostility in the other man’s face and posture, and strolled to a conclusion, since he hardly needed to jump.
“I take it you’ve encountered my brother, Hector,” he said. “Or possibly my father.”
“Both.” The little man spat the word out. “Oh, I’ve encountered your family alright. It’s something of an irony to be sent to help one of you.”
Zen Cho: Sorcerer to the Crown
which contains what may be my favourite paragraph in a book ever:
Prunella had once thought life in London would be all flirting and balls and dresses, hitting attentive suitors on the shoulder with a fan, and breakfasting late upon bowls of chocolate. She sighed now for her naïveté. Little had she known life in London was in fact all hexes and murder and thaumaturgical politics, and she would always be rising early for some reason or other!

#16  pdurrant 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM
Quote PKFFW
As for fantasy and other sub-genres..........yes she likes fantasy as well. She is definitely more of a Sci-Fi "lite" kind of girl than hard Sci-Fi though.
If fantasy is OK, I very strongly recommend The Sharing Knife series by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's four books in total. The main romance is sorted out in the first two books, but I would expect that she'd enjoy all four.

The first book is Beguilement, the second is Legacy.

#17  Dazrin 03-24-2020, 05:44 PM
Does the Chronicles of St. Mary's series include a romance plot? I've only read the first one and I vaguely remember something but details are scarce. I enjoyed the first one, I remember that.

#18  crossi 03-26-2020, 11:29 AM
Lisanne Norman's Turning Point. It's the first book in a series and is SF.

For fantasy Bujold's Penric and Desdemona novellas. It's book 4 before he meets the lady he falls in love with and book 7 before they are married but they are quick reads.

Jayne Castle Ghost Hunters series. Paranormal Romances.

First Channel by Jaqueline Lichtenberg. SF.

The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. Fantasy

#19  kndlewis 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM
Also Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
I read the first, our heroine gets stuck in the past, but I felt there was a bit too much romance for my taste.
There's at least 8 books in the series.

#20  Terisa de morgan 03-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Quote kndlewis
Also Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
I read the first, our heroine gets stuck in the past, but I felt there was a bit too much romance for my taste.
There's at least 8 books in the series.
Sci-Fi? Time Travel ok, but Sci-Fi?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register