Mobileread
Big, Chunky Fantasy or Scifi Stand Alones Wanted
#11  mewmartigan 03-19-2020, 01:32 PM
Quote JSWolf
I will third this one.
I will 4th this one (Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained) and I will also add Peter F. Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy. 3 books, about 1,000 pages each.

Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Great story, stand alone, about 1,000 pages.

#12  JSWolf 03-19-2020, 03:24 PM
Quote mewmartigan
I will 4th this one (Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained) and I will also add Peter F. Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy. 3 books, about 1,000 pages each.

Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Great story, stand alone, about 1,000 pages.
Another really good long book (standalone) is Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton. It's about 346,310 words.

#13  mewmartigan 03-19-2020, 07:51 PM
Quote JSWolf
Another really good long book (standalone) is Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton. It's about 346,310 words.
I agree on Great North Road...just didn't want a Hamilton overload, haha.

#14  Larla 03-20-2020, 02:59 PM
Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard

well over a 1000 pages.

I know most hate this book but I like it myself and have read it at least 3 times.

The movie, starring Travolta, has been considered by many as the worst movie ever made.

#15  JSWolf 03-20-2020, 03:01 PM
Quote Larla

well over a 1000 pages.

I know most hate this book but I like it myself and have read it at least 3 times.
I am another who found it deplorable. It's an awful book. Don't read it. You'll hate it and you'll hate the fact that you could have read some good books instead.

#16  ZodWallop 03-20-2020, 04:03 PM
Quote JSWolf
I am another who found it deplorable. It's an awful book. Don't read it. You'll hate it and you'll hate the fact that you could have read some good books instead.
I don't think running another user's recommendation in to the ground is cricket. I have no interest in Battlefield Earth based on my previous experiences with Hubbard's writing. But maybe try to throttle back some?

#17  MorganM 03-20-2020, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been very sick with a cold and finally feel like reading again.

#18  MorganM 03-20-2020, 10:44 PM
Quote JSWolf
I read the book way back in high school. I liked it. Each to their own I guess.

#19  MorganM 03-20-2020, 10:48 PM
Quote Larla

well over a 1000 pages.

The movie, starring Travolta, has been considered by many as the worst movie ever made.
The movie was true shocker.

#20  Dr. Drib 03-23-2020, 10:19 AM
Quote MorganM
I'm looking for big chunkster fantasy or scifi stand alone recommendations.

Fantasy

The Worm Ouroboros - E.R. Eddison
Gormenghast series [Trilogy] - Mervyn Peake
The Well at the World's End - William Morris
The Well of the Unicorn - Fletcher Pratt
Silverlock - John Myers Myers
Earth Abides - George R. Stewart [This one is not that 'fat'; more sci-fi]

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register