Mobileread
How I Manage eBooks with calibre
#11  travger 09-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Always happy to be in the position to help; you're welcome.

You better be prepared that in Windows path starts with C:\ ...

I think it may be rather personal for what purpose anybody uses save/send and accordingly the needs for filename may be different. For example if screen is small and reader app is showing filenames, there's not much point having every filename like: Gordon Dahlquist - Miss Temple, Doctor Svenson, and ... disappearing at the edge of the screen.
That said, now I must confess that I use send/save very rarely - for me it's drag'n drop from Calibre folder to SD card.

I keep Book panel open, so Comments field is perfect for me to enter long title for the book. For example - Simple Smith: How Even a Village Fool Can Have a Fulfilling and Happy Life I enter into Comments with h5 or h6 tags, and Simple Smith into book title field.

For series I have 'Cycle' field as subseries, but if I needed to save to disk, I'd use just main series name and numeration. Cycle, Awards, Artist etc. info goes into file itself.

OMG, you speak so easily about templates and still hesitate about html ! (In Sigil you just have to click 'Insert picture'. Though I suspect you need something more complicated.)

One more point - when adding retail ebooks (or even most ePubs/mobis) it's rather safe to read metadata from the file itself. Pro side being also, that name of the downloaded file will not matter. I must add some info into custom columns manually anyway, so I'm eyeballing all the other fields too.

#12  theducks 09-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote travger
You better be prepared that in Windows path starts with C:\ ...
Only absolutely true if your system has a Single HD (with a single Windows accessible) partition)
Modern Systems can have multiple R/W drives (you should not have to worry about path length with Read Only media ), some removable. some networked. On a few occasions, I have had more than half of the available drive letters in use (data collection and processing. Hoo-Ray for the old Netware 4.x. No problems.)

#13  unboggling 09-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Revision notes:

Approach:
Added brief intro to clarify what it is and isn't.

Adding Books - Choose Method for Adding Books:
Added sentence that reading from file contents usually works well for retail-quality books from good sources.

Editing Metadata, Title or Series - and path/filename length issue:
Shortened the appends to Title. Mentioned an alternative for people wanting shorter titles might be putting that metadata into comments or custom column(s). Added separate paragraph (after Authors) about string length in Series and Title. Decided not to go into specifics about calibre automatically truncating when necessary to deal with various file system path/filename limitations, or the tech specs of those limitations (that would have been off-topic; and I don't know all the details). But added a few links under Filename Limitations in Links section. And added links for template info and examples in separate paragraph Set Templates in Reading Books section, and added links in Sending Books in Preferences section.

Other issues:
Still thinking about the issues with bulk convert, delete original format, and preferred fix with Sigil. Any changes there may be awhile since I want to get comfortable with any changes in real-life workflow before revising the document.

But I'm tending toward never deleting original format. In most cases that would give every book 2 formats, Preferred and Original. In the case of Preferred to Preferred, it would be Preferred and Original_Preferred, requiring Tweak save_original_format=true. For users learning how to fix books it's probably more important to keep the original formats, than for experienced book fixers who know what they're doing. I'm still in the learning how category, particularly with Sigil.

And I finally learned how to anchor a selected graphic to a paragraph in OpenOffice, preceding add of ODT into calibre. With menu command Format/Anchor/To Paragraph. All I had to do was look.

I'm also tending toward always bulk converting after adding books, for all books. For me using EPUB as preferred format, that makes sense for the assessment in calibre viewer. With further assessment of original format if necessary in other reader app for that format.

#14  mraxehandle 09-04-2012, 12:33 AM
I still don't understand why so many people use forums as a kind of wiki (I think of XDA in particular.) It seems strange to me, given how many great wiki-type tools are out there.Does MobileRead or Calibre have a wiki space that can be used?

#15  unboggling 09-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Quote mraxehandle
I still don't understand why so many people use forums as a kind of wiki (I think of XDA in particular.) It seems strange to me, given how many great wiki-type tools are out there.Does MobileRead or Calibre have a wiki space that can be used?
Welcome to MobileRead Forums.

MobileRead Wiki Main Page, links to ebooks, libraries, stores, and information on devices, readers, tools, and formats.

There is a calibre article on MobileRead wiki. AFAIK nothing prevents there being other calibre wiki pages with different focus or content.

These are some reasons this document is here:
  1. It is still under development, being added to and refined, with rapid revisions.
  2. Feedback spurs that along.
  3. I want to keep control of the edits. AFAIK, any registered user can edit a wiki article. I might be wrong because I never contributed to a wiki before, and don't know specifics of that process.
  4. The focus, as currently written and structured, is on how "I" manage ebooks with calibre, my needs, strategy, workflow, configs, and settings and how they interrelate. Not necessarily on how other people manage ebooks with calibre, which is usually different for each person. (General discussion of what other users do is mostly for context or contrast. Any discussion of methods to choose from is usually for context or contrast, and/or workflow contingencies.)
  5. I suspect most of the people reading this in a calibre forum are more calibre-focused than a broader group reading it as a wiki article.

If I'm wrong about anything in that reasoning, anybody, please let me know.

#16  theducks 09-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Quote mraxehandle
These kind of forums have been around a lot longer than a Wiki.

Compuserve, USENET, Genie and private BBS were the most common ways of getting help in the infancy of Computers.

BTW
Look at the 3rd word on the Very Top Line of any Mobilread page

#17  copyrite 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM
I bet, theducks, your pretty kitty was not active on FidoNet. Woof!

(I am showing my age.)

#18  DoctorOhh 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote copyrite
Its not that long ago. It seems like yesterday I sold, via FidoNet, a 386sx motherboard w/8 megs of ram soldered on the board internationally to a buyer in Canada.

Good times!

#19  theducks 09-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Quote copyrite

(I am showing my age.)
You are correct.
I did use 'The Source' at 300 Baud (Readers Digest got into the Information game)

#20  PeterT 09-05-2012, 12:35 AM
I remember using an acoustic coupler modem in a wooden box....

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register