Mobileread
How I Manage eBooks with calibre
#111  itimpi 06-06-2014, 05:28 AM
Forum policy does not allow for any help to be provided here on removing DRM and related issues. You need to ask where you got the plugin.

#112  unboggling 10-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Quote unboggling
... Fixing formatting problems with word-processor is a quick and easy baseline method — I do this in practical mode. But I am gradually learning to work at code level too, because it is more precise — I do this in learning mode.

In learning mode, I like using Edit Book. It helps a lot to read the Editing E-Books section of user manual first, and work with freshly downloaded retail book formats, not yet converted, without a multitude of formatting problems — rather than starting with known problem-plagued formats, which in hindsight was a mistake I made last month. Then remove unused CSS rules, check book, see what is what, refer to CSS and HTML tutorials as necessary, and fix things.
Since February 2014 I learned a lot more about XHTML tags and CSS. Now my preferred tool for fixing formatting problems is calibre's Edit Book. I noticed Sigil is alive again with v 8.0, but for my purposes Edit Book is most convenient.

Also, re quoted post, now I "beautify files" rather than "remove unused CSS rules", don't bother to "check book", and usually don't need to refer to tutorials anymore.

#113  LadyKate 10-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Quote copyrite
Problem is my ISP doesn't offer Usenet access anymore.

My better half probably would still be using the Apple IIe if it could be hooked up to the internet. Even at a creeping pace.
There are a lot of premium usenet providers at fairly low cost. For 2 gig a month as low as 2 or 3 dollars a month.

#114  please55 12-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Fantastic guide, thanks for sharing. I'm curious what system you used to organize your ideas.

Most of my questions are geared towards understanding your choices or clarify my thinking.

a) You set the series for individual books to (1)[1] for sorting reasons but it doesn't appear to be any different from leaving the field empty for that subset. So why?

b) Why not use tags at all? Genres fulfils the same purpose - so why not use tags & keywords for example? Why create two custom columns/fields entirely?

c) Why use " , " instead of " & " as separator for keywords and genre column? It causes the tag browser to break out "fn, sf" and "sf, fn" as two separate categories and the "sf" category won't bring up books tagged with "fn, sf" or vice versa. **Edit** I just figured out why I had that behaviour - I had checked "contains names" when creating that column. Don't understand why but that explains (c).

#115  unboggling 12-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Quote please55
Fantastic guide, thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.

Quote please55
I'm curious what system you used to organize your ideas.
Basic structure and functions of calibre; my ebook-related workflow.

Quote please55
Most of my questions are geared towards understanding your choices or clarify my thinking.

a) You set the series for individual books to (1)[1] for sorting reasons but it doesn't appear to be any different from leaving the field empty for that subset. So why?
"(1) [1]" announces that the series was previously checked/entered, rather than possibly previously forgotten to have been checked/entered.

Quote please55
b) Why not use tags at all? Genres fulfils the same purpose - so why not use tags & keywords for example? Why create two custom columns/fields entirely?
I like each column to address a specific attribute. For me discreet sets of attribute-specific metadata elements are more aesthetic, less confusing, easier to remember, and easier to isolate in search terms; than different sets mixed in one column. Otherwise it's just personal preference. [EDIT] calibre automatically enters the tags "News" and "Catalogs" in the Tags column; these metadata elements are publication types, so if I used Tags column for anything else it would be for types. Putting types in Tags seems more confusing than putting types in custom column Types.[/EDIT]

Quote please55
c) Why use " , " instead of " & " as separator for keywords and genre column? It causes the tag browser to break out "fn, sf" and "sf, fn" as two separate categories and the "sf" category won't bring up books tagged with "fn, sf" or vice versa. **Edit** I just figured out why I had that behaviour - I had checked "contains names" when creating that column. Don't understand why but that explains (c).
Right. Separator "&" is for Name columns such as Author(s).

#116  nixsee 03-16-2020, 05:03 PM
This sounds like a very useful guide, but I can't find it anywhere in the thread! Was it moved elsewhere?

#117  unboggling 03-28-2020, 08:40 AM
Sorry. I deleted it a few years ago.

« First  « Prev   (12/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register