Mobileread
Managing Custom Columns
#1  ddjohn 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
When adding a "Custom Column" to your library, you create a database field. But what if you made a mistake and don't realize it until after you hit "Apply" and restart Calibre?

I did this. The type of column I added doesn't perform the way I thought it would (newbie mistake). There is no data in this field, and I know I don't have to display or use the field. But is there some method for fixing mistakes like this?

Being able to change the names would be a nice way to recycle the column. Being able to change the type of field this is would probably be impossible. But if you have a totally empty field, getting rid of it completely would be a nice do-over option. Any choices available for fixing these mistakes, other than creating a new library and copying all my books to the "improved" version?

#2  kovidgoyal 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM
You can remove custom columns by clicking the button with the red minus in the add your own column preferences section

#3  theducks 02-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Quote ddjohn
When adding a "Custom Column" to your library, you create a database field. But what if you made a mistake and don't realize it until after you hit "Apply" and restart Calibre?

I did this. The type of column I added doesn't perform the way I thought it would (newbie mistake). There is no data in this field, and I know I don't have to display or use the field. But is there some method for fixing mistakes like this?

Being able to change the names would be a nice way to recycle the column. Being able to change the type of field this is would probably be impossible. But if you have a totally empty field, getting rid of it completely would be a nice do-over option. Any choices available for fixing these mistakes, other than creating a new library and copying all my books to the "improved" version?
In Custom column, click your mis-named/typed column and see that blue i ?
Click and fix

#4  ddjohn 02-19-2011, 10:42 AM
To create a custom column I was right clicking on the column headers. That area says "edit" but there are no edit options that I could figure out. Then after reading these responses, I found my way to the menu option "Preferences/Interface". Once I was there, I discovered the editing functions. Hip Hip Hurray! This is a VERY powerful software. Was able to fix my newbie mistakes quite easily and even experimented with many types of columns. Many thanks.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register