Mobileread
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?
#28911  pdurrant 05-30-2020, 05:03 AM
Quote pdurrant
Next up: Old Twentieth by Joe Haldeman. Something I bought back in 2008 from Fictionwise!
Almost abandoned, as there's a badly written section that seem to be ignoring relativity (in a situation that is otherwise hard SF), but it's just unclear on first reading.

#28912  Luffy 05-31-2020, 05:38 AM
Quote John F
I'm a little confused by your review

IMO, I would rate a book 5 stars if it was one of the best books I've read.

Did you see that he has a new book coming out?
I don't know what made it great. Usually I'm less clueless than that.

#28913  pdurrant 05-31-2020, 07:56 AM
Quote pdurrant
Almost abandoned, as there's a badly written section that seem to be ignoring relativity (in a situation that is otherwise hard SF), but it's just unclear on first reading.
Finished Old Twentieth. Only 3/5 overall. Not on of his best.

Next up: One for the Money by Janet Evanovitch. From Fictionwise as a freebie way back in January 2010! Her first Stephane Plum adventure.

#28914  Luffy 06-01-2020, 02:36 PM
My review of Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6), by Michael J. Sullivan:-

Spoiler Warning below

You know, I would be fine with adding books 3 and 4 to this voluminous duet of pleasures. It's a single story, though I hated books 3 and 4. Combined together, they form a spectrum. Reading this, you hate the author and want the book to fail.

Then slowly, when book 5 kicks in, you're taken unawares and revise your opinion of the writer. You get beset by twists, red herrings, and a prose that's artificially original, but is derivative in the best meaning of the word. There's a lot of good hard work in here.

What I'm struggling to tell you is that I have gained a lot of respect for not only the author, but the genre. Wriggle as I might, it's undeniable that most of the books in my top 10 list are Fantasy. Why is that. Partly this is due to the website Goodreads, which weeds out the quirky, psychedelic and experimental dead ends from the 70's.

Riyria was so nice to read. The bits of boredom are not necessarily good, but most readers won't begrudge the writer for that. I'm not fortunate enough to find the entire series great. But what I'll leave you with is that if while reading the book you find that you're zipping through the pages, odds are you'll become a fan of the genre, the series and its creator.

#28915  pdurrant 06-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Quote pdurrant
Next up: One for the Money by Janet Evanovitch. From Fictionwise as a freebie way back in January 2010! Her first Stephane Plum adventure.
Which was a fun crime adventure with a touch of romance. I rather wish I'd tried this series before now!

Next up: Rumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer, bought yesterday!

#28916  PurpleStar 06-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Quote pdurrant
Which was a fun crime adventure with a touch of romance. I rather wish I'd tried this series before now!

The Stephanie Plum book series is one of my favorites! You're in for a fun ride.

#28917  CRussel 06-02-2020, 04:41 PM
Quote pdurrant
Quote PurpleStar
The Stephanie Plum book series is one of my favorites! You're in for a fun ride.
I quite enjoyed this series for the first several books. And the Audible versions are excellent. But I got bored and annoyed with them after a half dozen or so. But a fun premise, even if no one could possible kill that many cars.

#28918  PurpleStar 06-02-2020, 09:18 PM
Quote CRussel
I quite enjoyed this series for the first several books. And the Audible versions are excellent. But I got bored and annoyed with them after a half dozen or so. But a fun premise, even if no one could possible kill that many cars.
I got up to about book 20 or so. They do get repetitive after a few books.

#28919  pdurrant 06-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Quote pdurrant
As expected, a delight.

Next up: The Reign of the Brown Magician by Lawrence Watt-Evans. The third in his Worlds of Shadow trilogy. I read the second book a short while ago, and I'd like to finish the trilogy while that's fresh in my mind.

#28920  CRussel 06-04-2020, 05:50 PM
Quote PurpleStar
I got up to about book 20 or so. They do get repetitive after a few books.
So, inquiring minds want to know -- is she still killing at least one car per book? (I won't even bother to ask about her circular relationships -- I'm sure those will never be resolved. )

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2892/2902)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register