Mobileread
Plugboard, template, and custom composite column recipes
#11  brewjono 10-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Hoping for some further clarification here.

Prefix this with I am using a K3.

Any changes I make to the Preferences > Sending books to devices > Save Template

only affects the Folder and file name structure within the Documents folder of my Kindle ie what I can see when using Windows Explorer,

Any changes I make to the Preferences > Metadata Plugboards

only affects what is displayed on my Kindle screen.

Example: If I include info regarding the series on the send to device template it will include that info in windows exploer but not on the Kindle screen. If I want to display that series data on the actual kindle screen I have to use a Metadata Plugboard.

That all being said does anybody have a suggestion of a plugboard I can use that will display the series as described by chaley

ie {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

and also the shortened author name as described be Sweetpea.

I have been finding that with the full series name, title, and author it obviously doesn't fit on the K3 screen. I did notice that if you hover over it, it shows a second line of text.

Thanks,

Brewjono

#12  speakingtohe 10-02-2010, 10:36 PM
I can change the sony driver to use the plugboard when writing to its database, but the changes are non-trivial. My concern is that any mistake will change existing collection data. My experience to date with that sort of mistake has not been at all pleasant.
Understandable. And the Sony collection thing is sort of ok.

I am trying to get the plugboard working adequately for my mother's kindle 3 and was hoping to be able to test/do it without actually having the kindle. (I have it now but her birthday is getting close)

My mother is 85 and lives several thousand miles away so her being able to do it herself is problematic.

Using this example
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
I get this on the kindle 3
Along Came a Spider - James PattersonAC1.mobi

And this on save to disk and on folder device.
Along Came a Spider - James Patterson.mobi

What am I doing wrong?

Helen

#13  DoctorOhh 10-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Quote speakingtohe
I am trying to get the plugboard working adequately for my mother's kindle 3 and was hoping to be able to test/do it without actually having the kindle.
I don't have your answer but I'm relatively sure you can test out the plug board by using the Connect to Folder option.

#14  CCLady 10-02-2010, 11:27 PM
I got an answer on a different board - I should have selected Kindle2 in order for it to work on the K3.

I am a happy Kindler.

#15  speakingtohe 10-02-2010, 11:49 PM
don't have your answer but I'm relatively sure you can test out the plug board by using the Connect to Folder option.
Doesn't seem to work
I get this on the kindle 3
Along Came a Spider - James PattersonAC1.mobi

Along Came a Spider - James Patterson.mobi

#16  DoctorOhh 10-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Quote speakingtohe
I'm confused by your response above. The Connect to Folder option is meant to be used as a device. So you should be sending the books to the connected folder via Send to Device.

Connect to a folder via the Connect/Share icon.

#17  speakingtohe 10-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Sorry Walt
I thought I was clear that the plugboard didn't work with connect to device
I have tried that multiple times
I can connect to a folder and send the book to the folder/device but the series information is not added.

The manual says it does not work with connect to device or save to disk, but implies that it uses the save to disk function to do it and the save to disk and folder device are both listed in the drop down menu under plugboards

I am pretty new to kindle-ing so am probably making this more difficult than it has to be.
Probably I can use save to disk template and start a new library for her or send a bunch at a time to the kindle and copy them back to computer.

I want her to have a good selection but not have them all on the kindle at once as this will overwhelm her and she will be scared to use it.

Anyway thanks for the input
Helen

#18  DoctorOhh 10-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Quote speakingtohe
The manual says it does not work with connect to device or save to disk, but implies that it uses the save to disk function to do it and the save to disk and folder device are both listed in the drop down menu under plugboards
I guess I should read the manual.

If I didn't use a Sony I would have been more on the ball.

Good Luck.

#19  speakingtohe 10-03-2010, 12:30 AM
I guess I should read the manual.
To paraphrase John Cleese I read a manual once but I think I got away with it

#20  Sweetpea 10-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Quote dwanthny
I don't have your answer but I'm relatively sure you can test out the plug board by using the Connect to Folder option.
Or the save-to-disk... I've been using that to check my plugboards and save-as templates...

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/88)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register