Mobileread
Free Library of Philadelphia discontinuing remote memberships
#51  cgsmom 11-05-2019, 08:52 AM
Quote Catlady
The Houston Public Library offers a nonresident card for $40/yr. I'm tempted.
I used to have a card from Houston Public Library. We were fulltime RVer's for 12 years and I had 5 library cards from our travels. Most libraries would give you a card if you had a receipt from a campground for at least 3 months. We bought a house in Utah last year and the library here is good so I have let my other cards expire.

I am considering joining Houston library again. It is not only the books that I liked. The also have magazines and music that can be downloaded. The selection is good and I think it would be worth the money.

#52  stumped 11-05-2019, 09:25 AM
i suspect their are three tiers of access

1. free to in state/ in county/ whatever definition of " local" applies
2. available as paid-for to in-country but out of state e.g. all of USA only.
3. available as paid for worldwide

& its the 3rd tier which is a rather short list

#53  JSWolf 11-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Quote MGlitch
Not quite true Jon, particularly the invented part.

https://www.infoplease.com/business-finance/personal-finance/brief-history-checking

Also even then, in 1681 it's somewhat likely they used the British spelling since there wouldn't have been a standard set for American English for nearly 200 more years in 1828.
The site the link goes to skips the fact that a check was used in 1681 in the US. It was not a bank check printed by the bank. But it was a check.

I cannot say what the spelling was back then. But what I can say is that before the US was the US, the pilgrims used the same English that the UK did since they came from there. Then the English changed in the US and the UK and neither is more correct then the other. IMHO, some of the things in UK English vs US English make more sense in US English. But that doesn't mean one is wrong and one is right.

#54  MGlitch 11-05-2019, 10:51 AM
Quote JSWolf
The site the link goes to skips the fact that a check was used in 1681 in the US. It was not a bank check printed by the bank. But it was a check.

I cannot say what the spelling was back then. But what I can say is that before the US was the US, the pilgrims used the same English that the UK did since they came from there. Then the English changed in the US and the UK and neither is more correct then the other. IMHO, some of the things in UK English vs US English make more sense in US English. But that doesn't mean one is wrong and one is right.

It actually specifically mentions the 1681 check, it also mentions that checks as a concept had been around well before Europe was aware there was land where what would become the US existed.

You claimed the US invented the check and that it therefore followed the American English spelling was the "correct" one. Neither of these is the case, which you seem to have possibly realized now. Though I would urge you to have another read through of that link, as you clearly missed information within the article.

#55  issybird 11-05-2019, 11:05 AM
Let's drop the check spat, OK?

#56  Ripplinger 11-05-2019, 11:49 AM
When I saw this thread I was worried my FLP card was also being cancelled, but apparently if you had a free card for being over 65, those continue to be grandfathered in, and don't seem to have an expiration date. I try not to use it often unless my local libraries don't have something, so I hadn't used it in awhile, but I was happy just the same that it will continue to be another source of library books for me. I had to put the card in my husband's name at the time, and I think it was shortly after that they discontinued giving those out.

#57  Skydog 11-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Is it possible to stay on topic?

Geeze....

#58  JSWolf 11-05-2019, 01:56 PM
When I first got an FLP library card, I split the cost with a friend. Then when it came to renewing, he got a card for Huston and I renewed the FLP card. Then the next time I renewed the FLP card, I did it just for myself.

#59  Froide 11-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Quote Ripplinger
When I saw this thread I was worried my FLP card was also being cancelled, but apparently if you had a free card for being over 65, those continue to be grandfathered in, and don't seem to have an expiration date. I try not to use it often unless my local libraries don't have something [...]
Ditto regarding the FLP military veteran card.

« First  « Prev   (6/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register