Mobileread
calibre 5: Beta testers needed
#1  kovidgoyal 07-15-2020, 05:17 AM
Hi all,

calibre 5 with python 3 and highlighting in the viewer is finally ready for general beta testing. I'd appreciate it if some of you could download the betas and give it a spin:

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/

The main new feature is that you can create highlights with added notes in both the standalone and content server viewers. To do so simply long tap or double click a word to show the selection popup bar, where you can shoose to highlight or perform other actions. You can also browse all annotations for all books, centrally, in the main calibre program. More details are in the documentation, at:
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/blob/e2023158b13621276a21d287398a7fcc7ae54ae6/manual/viewer.rst#highlighting-text

Now some warnings.

Since all annotations are stored in the calibre database and can be browsed centrally using the new annotations browser tool, the database structure has changed. You can run both calibre 4.20 and the betas on the same libraries, however, earlier releases may or may not work, so only run the betas if your main calibre is up-to-date at version 4.20 or newer.

Because of python 3, some third party plugins might not work, for status on plugin porting efforts, see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=326405

Plugin developers, if you have been holding off porting your plugin, now is the time as calibre 5 is round the corner. For information on how to port your plugin, please see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325721

#2  Terisa de morgan 07-15-2020, 05:29 AM
Is it possible to have in the same machine a Calibre 5 portable version and 4.10 calibre Windows 64?

#3  kovidgoyal 07-15-2020, 06:31 AM
yes as long as you access different libraries with each.

#4  thiago.eec 07-15-2020, 07:30 AM
That's great! Annotations is a great feature.

My first round of testing:
calibre portable 4.99.7 - Windows 10 Pro 2004 x64
Using the Viewer by double-clicking books on calibre main library.
All books are EPUBs.

1) Bug: changing the color of an annotation erases the associated notes.
2) Bug: after creating 3 annotations (1 in Book A, then 1 in Book B, and 2 in Book B), the first 2 two stopped showing in the viewer, although they still show in "Browse annotations". It happened after restarting calibre.
3) Bug: after adding a second note to the 3rd annotation (in Book B), this one also stopped showing in viewer (yet still present in "Browse annotations"). Also happened after restarting.
4) Info: in "Browse annotations", the options to restrict search are not available to me.
5) Info: in "Browse annotations", the notes inside the same annotation are merging altogether. No line breaks. Looks like a single note.
6) Suggestion: display some sort of separation between the highlighted text and the associated note.
7) Bug: in "Browse annotations", selecting an annotation and clicking in "Open in viewer" not always open on the selected annotation.

Thanks for the new feature. I'll keep testing here.

#5  thiago.eec 07-15-2020, 07:41 AM
Also, this version of the viewer is still presenting the problem of multiple scrolls to change the page. Was this fix applied to this release (4.99.7)?

P.S.: Running from source, the mentioned fix did not solved the problem on version 4.20.

#6  kovidgoyal 07-15-2020, 11:02 AM
1) Bug: changing the color of an annotation erases the associated notes.

Doesnt happen for me. Steps I tried:

a) click highlight
b) click on a word
c) enter a note
d) change color of highlight
e) click the tick mark
f) the note remains

2) Bug: after creating 3 annotations (1 in Book A, then 1 in Book B, and 2 in Book B), the first 2 two stopped showing in the viewer, although they still show in "Browse annotations". It happened after restarting calibre.

Also, doesnt happen for me, steps I tried:

a) Open book 1
b) add anotation
c) close book 1
d) Open book 2
e) add two annotations
f) close book 2
g) quit calibre
h) open calibre and open the two books, all annotations are present

4) Info: in "Browse annotations", the options to restrict search are not available to me.

What do you mean by not available?

5) Info: in "Browse annotations", the notes inside the same annotation are merging altogether. No line breaks. Looks like a single note.

This will be fixed in the next beta

6) Suggestion: display some sort of separation between the highlighted text and the associated note.

This will be fixed in the next beta

7) Bug: in "Browse annotations", selecting an annotation and clicking in "Open in viewer" not always open on the selected annotation.

I will need a book with an annotation for which it fails.

#7  kovidgoyal 07-15-2020, 11:03 AM
Quote thiago.eec
Also, this version of the viewer is still presenting the problem of multiple scrolls to change the page. Was this fix applied to this release (4.99.7)?

P.S.: Running from source, the mentioned fix did not solved the problem on version 4.20.
Yes it was applied. The only way that could happen is if your wheel mouse is generating pixel scroll events. If it generates either line or page scroll events a single wheel click is all that's needed.

#8  thiago.eec 07-15-2020, 01:02 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
Doesnt happen for me. Steps I tried:

a) click highlight
b) click on a word
c) enter a note
d) change color of highlight
e) click the tick mark
f) the note remains
Try changing the color, AFTER the note was already created:
a) Create a Note like you described above and save it;
b) Double-click it;
c) Click the paintbrush icon;
d) Change the color;
e) The highlight remains, but the text you typed is gone.

It happens every time here.

Quote kovidgoyal
Also, doesnt happen for me, steps I tried:

a) Open book 1
b) add anotation
c) close book 1
d) Open book 2
e) add two annotations
f) close book 2
g) quit calibre
h) open calibre and open the two books, all annotations are present
For me, highlights keep vanishing. I still can see then in "Browse annotations", both in main calibre and the Viewer. But they vanish from the rendered text. Check the attached picture.

Quote kovidgoyal
What do you mean by not available?
The dropdown menus (Types and User) does not work. Maybe the User option is for the Content Server, but what about the Types option?

Quote kovidgoyal

I will need a book with an annotation for which it fails.
This happened with many notes, on may books. One example is the one attached. I highlighted two passages, the first, on "Letter 4":

When my guest was a little recovered I had great trouble to keep off the men, who wished to ask him a thousand questions; but I would not allow him to be tormented by their idle curiosity, in a state of body and mind whose restoration evidently depended upon entire repose.
The second on the end of "Chapter 1":
The passionate and almost reverential attachment with which all regarded her became, while I shared it, my pride and my delight.
Then, in main calibre, I open "Browse annotations". Select the highlight and click "Open in viewer". For the first highlight, the Viewer will open at the beginning of "Letter 4", not showing the highlight (which is on the next "page"; note that I am using Paged Mode).

For the second highlight, it works fine (for this example). It opens right at the spot.
Annotations.jpg 
[epub] Frankenstein - Mary W. Shelley.epub (329.5 KB, 743 views)

#9  thiago.eec 07-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
Yes it was applied. The only way that could happen is if your wheel mouse is generating pixel scroll events. If it generates either line or page scroll events a single wheel click is all that's needed.
The thing is: this is the same mouse I've been using for months, including calibre. It always worked fine before. Also, I tested another mouse (both Logitech mice) and it failed too.

This happened after 4.20 (I know that it had some fix for scrolling with touchpads, maybe that's what broke things).

P. S.: Can you point me a simple way to test the the event signal my mouse is sending with the scroll wheel?

I hovered the mouse at the "Test elements" and gave a single scroll on my mouse whell. The result is attached.
Scroll-test.png 

#10  thiago.eec 07-15-2020, 01:47 PM
One last thing that just happened: I made two highlights on a book (EPUB3), then closed it and restarted calibre. After restarting, the highlight was displaced from its original position. See the attached image.

The original highlighted sentence was:

Fast-forward to the present day. Real-life self-driving cars now cruise around the cities of Silicon Valley day and night.
After restart, it now shows:
We’ve developed a computer program that can beat the best humans at the ancient game of Go. Meanwhile, the artificial int
They are the exact same size (124 chars). The highlight got displaced.
Displaced-Highlight.png 

Next »  Last »  (1/50)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register