Mobileread
Kobo Libra H20 (FW 4.26.16704) does not index/show my ePubs
#1  coleder 03-01-2021, 12:23 PM
I have been using a Kobo Aura for years and uploaded epubs to /mnt/sd/book to its sdcard using the USB cable, later using KOReader OPDS. The most recent firmware does index and show the epubs in /mnt/sd/book.

Now I bought a Kobo Libra H20 and it does not have an external SD card reader, but there is still a folder /mnt/sd. However, the built-in Kobo Reader does not index or show any of my epubs in /mnt/sd/book or in /mnt/onboard/book.

Is that a limitation of the Libra H20? It works fine on the Aura with the same firmware version!

How can I make the Kobo reader Libra H20 index and show my epubs and what is the preferred path to place them in the file system?

PS: Sure, reading the epubs still works using KOReader and Plato, but I would like to get it to work also with the builtin Kobo Reader.

#2  Elektron 03-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Why not just /mnt/onboard?

#3  coleder 03-01-2021, 01:03 PM
Quote Elektron
Because it would be messy. I have folders for book, comic, report on my Aura. The Aura Kobo Reader indexes all that automatically. Why wouldn't it do the same on the Libra H20?

#4  coleder 03-01-2021, 01:09 PM
Quote Elektron
BTW, I just moved an epub to /mnt/onboard. That still got not indexed. That sounds weird to me. Will the Libra Kobo reader only index books that were downloaded through its own official book stores? And why does that not happen on the Aura Kobo Reader with the same firmware?

#5  coleder 03-01-2021, 01:28 PM
I just found that this behavior only concerns the epubs that I download using OPDS. If i connect the Libra with a USB cable and upload a book, all books, also those downloaded via OPDS become indexed and visible by Kobo Reader.

There seems to be a difference in behavior between the Aura and Libra model when downloading through OPDS.

#6  coleder 03-01-2021, 01:35 PM
I checked the ownership and permissions of the epub files in the filesystem using SSH. They have all the same owner and permissions.

Any ideas anyone?

#7  NiLuJe 03-01-2021, 01:38 PM
Nickel has always needed an USBMS session to index/update books.

I can't vouch for it looking inside /mnt/sd on devices without an SD card (EDIT: Actually, it probably does, c.f., #10), but, for the rest, may I interest you in our lord and savior NickelMenu's rescan_books feature, which will allow you do to just that without actually going through the hassle of an USBMS session . (Which you can also fake via NM, BTW ^^).

#8  coleder 03-01-2021, 01:41 PM
One more thing:
Using the USB storage mode in KOReader does not trigger the Kobo Reader to index the epubs. However, using the USB storage mode of the Kobo Reader does make the Kobo reader to index the epubs.

#9  NiLuJe 03-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Again, perfectly normal. Nickel is dead as a doornail at that point.

And since it doesn't index on startup, we're back to the same answer as above .

#10  NiLuJe 03-01-2021, 02:03 PM
Cross-reference, and an explanation of why the SD card scanning differs in some contexts: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/7375#issuecomment-788188984

(Hence the old trick of bind-mounting stuff to /mnt/sd and faking an sd eject/insert. But, don't do that, use NM ).

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register