Mobileread
Libra: Best way to load 100 books from SD card?
#1  jgbout 02-26-2021, 07:31 PM
Ok,now here is the problem.
I have about 100 3rd party (non protected) books, mainly EPUBS, few pdfs on an SD card from my Kobo Glo.

How the heck do I add them to my Libra?
I know I can Drag & Drop them in a batch by having the SD card in my PC and connecting Libra to PC.

But is there a better way, or is that just as good?

If I drag & drop will the Libra still report my reading progress, book covers etc..?

I mainly have the different novel series in different folders on the SD card, then lone books are not in folders, just on the root.

SECOND.... is there any way to add the books within a series to have them display in ORDER?
I remember on my last Kobo, there was no way. Any time I want to read a novel in proper order, I'd have to go online and find a book list to find the proper order.

#2  PeterT 02-26-2021, 08:45 PM
Many of use calibre to handle this. Ensure that the books in calibre have the correct metadata including series info, and then calibre will transfer the series name and series index to the Kobo.

#3  davidfor 02-26-2021, 08:51 PM
Firstly, after reading all your posts, you are way overthinking this. These devices are simple to use. They are designed to be. I mean, just drop the books onto the device and let it handle the book. It doesn't matter where you put it (except the .kobo and .kobo-image directory). The device will find the book and add it to list of books you can read. And that will not affect the books already on the device.

For the series, the device does not read series info from the books. But calibre can do it for you. That has been working since Kobo added the series metadata to the firmware. There is a series metadata addon for the device available in this forum if you do not want to use calibre.

#4  jgbout 02-26-2021, 09:02 PM
Thanks David, appreciate the patience.....

If I don't want to use calibre, you mean, I can just drag & drop the books and this "metadata addon) will make the Libra see the series order? Is this addon something I must add for every book? or does it recognize smoething about the books on it's own ?

#5  jgbout 02-26-2021, 09:04 PM
I'm assuming Calibre requires each book to have the info added separate and transferred separate? (IF using my Chromebook, I'll need to get calibre installed on the Linux partition...someday... so, calibre-free would be a nice solution.)

David, seems little these days are "simple" hahaa.

#6  davidfor 02-27-2021, 12:40 AM
The metadata addon (I'm having a blank on it's actual name. But it is created by @geek1011 and he has a link in the signature of his posts) is something is something you add to the device. The device already reads some metadata from the book, but, this reads more including the series info. But, it requires that the series info is in the book.

Calibre can update the metadata on the device. But, again, you need to have the metadata in the library.

Otherwise you have to edit the database on the device. That isn't hard, but, doing it for all your books would take time.

#7  Elektron 02-27-2021, 09:42 AM
Pretty sure its called NickelSeries.

#8  JSWolf 02-27-2021, 10:27 AM
Quote Elektron
Pretty sure its called NickelSeries.
But using NickelSeries means you have to edit every eBook in a series to add the series info the the OPF so it can be read and set correctly.

Using Calibre is so much easier.

#9  jgbout 02-27-2021, 10:35 AM
JSWolf -- don't you have to add the info to every book in a series with Calibre?
I'm all for making this go easier.....

Remember technically challenged here.....

#10  PeterT 02-27-2021, 12:58 PM
Seeing you mention a Chromebook does make me realize calibre could be a challenge. I know from my experience that the Chromebook does not implement all the usb support that calibre needs for full integration.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register