Mobileread
Clara Overdrive/Kobo feature updates?
#1  Cootey 02-19-2021, 11:37 PM
I just noticed the other day that I could return books on my Kobo Clara HD from all the libraries connected to my Libby app (I’m running the most recent firmware). Until recently, only the main library linked to the Kobo store would allow me to return ebooks from my Kobo. I’d have to open the Libby app to return or renew books from the other libraries. It’s been this way for years, so I’m excited about the new development.

For you people plugged into the details, when did this change occur, and what other Overdrive improvements were made as well?

~Dˢ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#2  MGlitch 02-20-2021, 02:58 PM
I've not updated to 4.26.16704 yet, I'd be interested to know if you can borrow from multiple libraries as well. That would be the best change to the overdrive feature in my opinion, returning/renewing is nice but IMO they're less important.

#3  Rid 02-20-2021, 03:47 PM
I have similar issues but I only have 1 library card. I would not worry about it too much as the library may then complain to Kobo and this may make them change their habits?

I do understand why you care about this as a library is a big part of a community.

The main issue is Kobo is a business, and probably another company over another company over the Kobo business and it wants to make money. If you borrow a book then return it, it then becomes a preview book on your Kobo ereader (with a price tag to tempt you to buy it?). I cannot look for free books on my ereader. If I filter price from low to high, I get some free, 89 cent, and also $125 books mixed in on the first search page.

Kobo just wants you to spend money like any other company. Which is why the apps might be a little bit, dare i say buggy….........

#4  davidfor 02-20-2021, 08:07 PM
Quote Rid
I have similar issues but I only have 1 library card.
What issues? The first post was about a change in behaviour someone just noticed and was wondering when that actually happened. And the second was wondering if this change would cover borrowing as well as returning. I don't expect this will be the case, but, I rarely use the library and have only one library so cannot test.
I would not worry about it too much as the library may then complain to Kobo and this may make them change their habits?
Again, I do not understand this statement. The OP is talking about making it easier to return books. That works in the libraries favour as the book becomes available for someone to borrow. Why would the library complain?
I do understand why you care about this as a library is a big part of a community.

The main issue is Kobo is a business, and probably another company over another company over the Kobo business and it wants to make money. If you borrow a book then return it, it then becomes a preview book on your Kobo ereader (with a price tag to tempt you to buy it?). I cannot look for free books on my ereader. If I filter price from low to high, I get some free, 89 cent, and also $125 books mixed in on the first search page.

Kobo just wants you to spend money like any other company. Which is why the apps might be a little bit, dare i say buggy….........
Now that is funny. The way for a company to make money is to write buggy software. But, have you reported the above bug? Maybe Kobo haven't realised it is a problem. With my quick test, it seemed to work, but, started to go wrong at about page 8. Honestly, I would rarely page that far through search results as if I hadn't found what I wanted in the first few pages, I would change the search terms. And I don't browse the store on the device. The few books I buy on the device are because I am after something specific, such as the next in a series. And most of the times, the book is in my wishlist.

#5  Cootey 02-22-2021, 04:57 AM
Quote MGlitch
I've not updated to 4.26.16704 yet, I'd be interested to know if you can borrow from multiple libraries as well. That would be the best change to the overdrive feature in my opinion, returning/renewing is nice but IMO they're less important.

But we've had access to multiple libraries for years through Libby. Do you mean multiple libraries in the Kobo store on a Kobo device?

At any rate, I can now return and renew books, from all three of my library cards from the device whereas before (for years) it would fail if the ebook wasn't borrowed from the main library associated with the Kobo store. This is a great feature update. I was wondering when it became available, and would like to know what other Overdrive features were added.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#6  Cootey 02-22-2021, 05:01 AM
Quote Rid
I have similar issues but I only have 1 library card. I would not worry about it too much as the library may then complain to Kobo and this may make them change their habits?

I don't think any of these issues have anything to do with my original post, but I do dislike managing previews. I think davidfor's reply covered mostly what I would say, though I'm not sure how my curiosity is misconstrued as a worry. I'd just like to know when the update occurred so I can see what other features were updated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#7  JSWolf 02-26-2021, 10:36 AM
Quote AkioMigi
I think that this device, not the best way how to spend money. There so many other e books and features that require your money and resources. I would say that kindle is the best device for your reading and it definitely cost his price.
Kindles are more expensive then Kobos. The PW4 is more expensive then the Clara HD. The Oasis is more expensive then the Libra. The Forma is hardly that much more then the Oasis. So how is the Kindle a good value when compared to Kobo? For less money, you can buy a Reader that (IMHO) is better.

#8  Cootey 03-01-2021, 04:16 PM
I love the topic creep of this thread. I’m literally laughing over here.

I’m guessing by now that either nobody knows the answer to my question, or nobody ever noticed the change. It’s alright. I just assumed you folks knew more than I do about it. You usually do!

This recent update is a great improvement for multiple library users such as myself. If you borrow books using Overdrive, and you have access to more than one library, I recommend making the effort to borrow from multiple libraries on your Kobo.

Incidentally, I own a Kindle Paperwhite (2018 model), and it’s easier to manage library books on the Kobo. That built in Overdrive support is sweet. It’s funny that Overdrive doesn’t even mention this seamless integration with their service. Like our poster above, they only push the Kindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register