Mobileread
Dictionary
#1  Ashjuk 01-25-2021, 10:27 AM
I am puzzled about what dictionary Sigil uses for it's default.

When checking books Sigil appears to highlight a lot of 'misspelled' words that are actually in common usage and I have to keep adding them to the default dictionary.

Looking in the hunspell_dictionaries folder I see that it's empty. So should I be looking for a more comprehensive dictionary for Sigil to use?

#2  DiapDealer 01-25-2021, 10:39 AM
Which OS? Which language? And can you give some examples of words you feel that language's hunspell dictionary is flagging that it should know about?

#3  Ashjuk 01-25-2021, 10:55 AM
Quote DiapDealer
Which OS?
Windows 10

I downloaded the Windows-x64 Setup.exe from the Sigil release Github page.

Some words highlighted by Sigil:
misdemeanour
shambolic
cofounder
contrarian
nightlife
fundraiser

There are more but these are a few from today's checking.

#4  KevinH 01-25-2021, 12:03 PM
Some of your words are typically hyphenated under British english variants.

co-founder
night-life
fund-raiser

There maybe more. American english variants tend to drop the hyphen in these words. See the traditional Oxford English dictionary for example.

That said, contrarian, and misdemeanour should be there. And shambolic appears to be more British slang that is not found in most US wordlists.

#5  Ashjuk 01-25-2021, 12:37 PM
Quote KevinH
Some of your words are typically hyphenated under British english variants.

co-founder
night-life
fund-raiser

There maybe more. American english variants tend to drop the hyphen in these words. See the traditional Oxford English dictionary for example.

That said, contrarian, and misdemeanour should be there. And shambolic appears to be more British slang that is not found in most US wordlists.
Nightlife and fundraiser are in the Cambridge UK Dictionary. Agreed perhaps cofounder might be an Americanisation but the others are all UK variants.

I note that Firefox (with UK dictionary installed) also flags them as misspelled so it's not just a Sigil problem.

Can you add a whole dictionary to Sigil or is it just on a word-by-word basis?

#6  KevinH 01-25-2021, 12:43 PM
Firefox probably uses the same UK dictionary we do. Almost all projects both commercial and opensource use some variant of hunspell, as we do.

Once you collect a significant enough list, you should submit them to the hunspell UK dictionary maintainer so they can be officially added.

Until then, creating a dictionary wordlist in Sigil is the way forward.

#7  BeckyEbook 01-25-2021, 12:57 PM
These words are in Canadian English.
Download the en-CA dictionary (en_CA.dic and en_CA.aff files)

Here you have the latest versions of the files:
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/english-dictionaries-apache-openoffice

Download and unpack (OXT file is regular ZIP file).

#8  Doitsu 01-25-2021, 01:02 PM
Quote Ashjuk
Looking in the hunspell_dictionaries folder I see that it's empty. So should I be looking for a more comprehensive dictionary for Sigil to use?
Kevin Atkinson has compiled a somewhat larger en-GB dictionary that you might find helpful.
(The only word it didn't find was "cofounder.")

To install the dictionary, unzip the files to C:\Program Files\Sigil\hunspell_dictionaries. If you don't have admin rights, select Edit > Preferences > Open Preferences Location and extract the files to the \hunspell_dictionaries folder in the Sigil preferences folder.

#9  Ashjuk 01-26-2021, 04:03 AM
Quote KevinH
Firefox probably uses the same UK dictionary we do. Almost all projects both commercial and opensource use some variant of hunspell, as we do.

Once you collect a significant enough list, you should submit them to the hunspell UK dictionary maintainer so they can be officially added.

Until then, creating a dictionary wordlist in Sigil is the way forward.
Thanks Kevin I will keep adding them on a word-by-word basis.

Quote BeckyEbook
These words are in Canadian English.
Download the en-CA dictionary (en_CA.dic and en_CA.aff files)

Here you have the latest versions of the files:
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/english-dictionaries-apache-openoffice

Download and unpack (OXT file is regular ZIP file).
Thanks Becky - I will check that out.

Quote Doitsu
Kevin Atkinson has compiled a somewhat larger en-GB dictionary that you might find helpful.
(The only word it didn't find was "cofounder.")

To install the dictionary, unzip the files to C:\Program Files\Sigil\hunspell_dictionaries. If you don't have admin rights, select Edit > Preferences > Open Preferences Location and extract the files to the \hunspell_dictionaries folder in the Sigil preferences folder.
Thank you Doitsu. As I said cofounder was doubtful anyway, but it's good to hear the others that I pointed out are included. I will download that one and install it in Sigil.

#10  Ashjuk 01-26-2021, 07:15 AM
Just another quick question about dictionaries.

Looking in the user_dictionaries folder in AppData I note that the modified date of the 'default' file was four days ago even though I have been adding words to the default dictionary over the past few days. Whereas the date of a temporary dictionary that I created for the current book I am editing has today's date.

Looking at the User Dictionary Word List in Preferences I only see the words I have added recently, but others I added some time ago have been removed.

So how often is the default dictionary updated from this word list?

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register