Mobileread
Forma How to "navigate" an epub with notes?
#11  carpler 01-25-2021, 04:07 AM
Many thanks again for answers!

Yesterday I did some tests with kepubify, but my lack of knowledge made me make mistakes. I transformed an epub into kepub, but I manually renamed the file created by kepubify in the usual "book-title.epub" scheme and for this I think the ebook was not recognized correctly by my ereader: in fact the footnotes are not displayed in a pop-up window, but they were the usual links.
I believe at this point that I should use the Caliber plugin that you have suggested for the next tests (better solution for a newbie user).
Here are my questions.

1) You mentioned the KoboTouchExtended plugin: the author of this plugin suggests installing the two KePub Metadata Reader / Writer plugins as well. What I don't understand is if you also need to install the other plugin by the same author, KePub Output: isn't the conversion to kepub already done by KoboTouchExtended?
2) Even analyzing the epubs in my possession with Sigil, I saw that the notes are usually reported in two different ways, exactly as @davidfor says: either at the end of the chapter (the note is reported in the same html file) or at the bottom of the book (the note is contained in a separate html file). If the book is successfully transformed into kepub, does the note appear in a popup either way or only when it is a footnote?

Thanks for the attention!

#12  davidfor 01-25-2021, 06:24 AM
Quote carpler
Many thanks again for answers!

Yesterday I did some tests with kepubify, but my lack of knowledge made me make mistakes. I transformed an epub into kepub, but I manually renamed the file created by kepubify in the usual "book-title.epub" scheme and for this I think the ebook was not recognized correctly by my ereader: in fact the footnotes are not displayed in a pop-up window, but they were the usual links.
I believe at this point that I should use the Caliber plugin that you have suggested for the next tests (better solution for a newbie user).
As you only used ".epub", it was handled as an ePub. You needed ".kepub.epub" for it to be handled as a kepub. But, kepubify should have named it properly and you should have just put it on the device.
Here are my questions.

1) You mentioned the KoboTouchExtended plugin: the author of this plugin suggests installing the two KePub Metadata Reader / Writer plugins as well. What I don't understand is if you also need to install the other plugin by the same author, KePub Output: isn't the conversion to kepub already done by KoboTouchExtended?
Strictly, if you are using the KoboTouchExtended driver, you don't need the KePub Metadata Reader and Writer plugins. These are useful if you have kepubs in your calibre library. If you just use the driver to transform the books to kepubs, then as far as calibre is concerned, the books are epubs.

The KePub Output plugin is used if you want to convert books to kepub and keep them in the library. You can do this if you want to stick with epubs on the device, but use kepubs where the kepub features are useful. Such as books with footnotes. If you do this, you do want to install the KePub Metadata Reader and Writer plugins.
2) Even analyzing the epubs in my possession with Sigil, I saw that the notes are usually reported in two different ways, exactly as @davidfor says: either at the end of the chapter (the note is reported in the same html file) or at the bottom of the book (the note is contained in a separate html file). If the book is successfully transformed into kepub, does the note appear in a popup either way or only when it is a footnote?
They should appear as popups in either case. My test book works that way.

#13  carpler 01-26-2021, 01:50 PM
Quote davidfor
They should appear as popups in either case. My test book works that way.
I can confirm after my tests: using the KoboTouchExtended plugin in Calibre I was able to convert my epubs to kepub and notes are displayed in a popup window both if they are placed at the end of the ebook, and at the end of the chapter.
I also got the impression that the links were easier to select.
In my previous tests, with normal epubs, I was having a hard time activating links with very small numbers. With kepubs I got the impression that, although the numbers are always very small, the links are easier to activate ...
Thanks for all the support provided!

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register