Mobileread
KoBox, or how to run X.org and Firefox on your Kobo
#11  Carmelocotonto 01-13-2021, 04:31 AM
Hi, A little question: What I do inside KoBox disappears when I restart? For example, if I download a book from firefox, where does it save it? Does nickel recognize it when I reboot? Can I save it in / mnt / onboard / My_books, for example?
Perhaps my question is very obvious, but for me it is an important question.

#12  NiMa 01-13-2021, 06:18 AM
Quote Carmelocotonto
Hi, A little question: What I do inside KoBox disappears when I restart? For example, if I download a book from firefox, where does it save it? Does nickel recognize it when I reboot? Can I save it in / mnt / onboard / My_books, for example?
Perhaps my question is very obvious, but for me it is an important question.
Hi,
Your question is a very good one indeed. KoBox runs in a chroot jail, which means it is (mostly) hidden the from Koboˋs root filesystem. All lives in /mnt/user when mounted and you can take a look at the shell scripts in /mnt/onboard/.adds/kobox/ and in /mnt/user/kobox.sh (when mounted) to know exactly what it does. I added a commented line (in /mnt/onboard/.adds/kobox/kobox-boot.sh I think, otherwise it'd be in /mnt/user/ when KoBox is running) which allows you to bind-mount your /mnt/onboard partition to the /mnt/user/mnt mountpoint (/mnt in KoBox)

TL;DR yes it is possible. Should you decomment this line? It's your choice. All that you do in KoBox that'd be an erasing operation could potentially touch your books if you aren't careful. But to simply download a book to the /mnt/onboard partition, yeah that's the method I use also

(Though I recommend Falkon instead of Firefox because Firefox has lots of bugs in the package that we currently have that cause it to often crash. Falkon is a very good browser too, desktop-class, you could use it for a full replacement of Chrome on your main computer, it's that good, yes ).

I just don't keep it on every time...

#13  Carmelocotonto 01-13-2021, 08:38 AM
Quote NiMa
Hi,
Your question is a very good one indeed. KoBox runs in a chroot jail, which means it is (mostly) hidden the Koboˋs root filesystem. All lives in /mnt/user when mounted and you can take a look at the shell scripts in /mnt/onboard/.adds/kobox/ and in /mnt/user/kobox.sh (when mounted) to know exactly what it does. I added a commented line (in /mnt/onboard/.adds/kobox/kobox-boot.sh I think, otherwise it'd be in /mnt/user/ when KoBox is running) which allows you to bind-mount your /mnt/onboard partition to the /mnt/user/mnt mountpoint (/mnt in KoBox)

TL;DR yes it is possible. Should you decomment this line? It's your choice. All that you do in KoBox that'd be an erasing operation could potentially touch your books if you aren't careful. But to simply download a book to the /mnt/onboard partition, yeah that's the method I use also

(Though I recommend Falkon instead of Firefox because Firefox has lots of bugs in the package that we currently have that cause it to often crash. Falkon is a very good browser too, desktop-class, you could use it for a full replacement of Chrome on your main computer, it's that good, yes ).

I just don't keep it on every time...
Ok, I will try this afternoon or tomorow. A similar question: you has wrote this:
Programs included (not exhaustive): firefox, geany, xterm, uxterm, gnome-terminal, mate-panel, x11vnc, feh, idle3.8, python3, obconf, pcmanfm, nautilus, vim, nano, htop, onboard
Installable via apk (package manager), including, but not limited to: gcc, g++, clang, qmake, falkon, midori, epiphany

What is the difference?. If I install Falkon, will it dessapear when I restart because KoBox runs in a chroot jail, which means it is (mostly) hidden the Koboˋs root filesystem?

#14  NiMa 01-13-2021, 09:02 AM
Quote Carmelocotonto
Ok, I will try this afternoon or tomorow. A similar question: you has wrote this:
Programs included (not exhaustive): firefox, geany, xterm, uxterm, gnome-terminal, mate-panel, x11vnc, feh, idle3.8, python3, obconf, pcmanfm, nautilus, vim, nano, htop, onboard
Installable via apk (package manager), including, but not limited to: gcc, g++, clang, qmake, falkon, midori, epiphany

What is the difference?. If I install Falkon, will it dessapear when I restart because KoBox runs in a chroot jail, which means it is (mostly) hidden the Koboˋs root filesystem?
No, essentially:

There are three partitions on the eMMC/MMC:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 # rootfs
/dev/mmcblk0p2 # recoveryfs
/dev/mmcblk0p3 # onboard

Here's the essential of the mounts at boot:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 : / (root)
/dev/mmcblk0p3 : /mnt/onboard

KoBox is a disk image R/W that you can add/modify things on. I think that on the one I uploaded, you have about 800MB of free space when you start.
This disk image is mounted like this:
/mnt/onboard/.adds/kobox/kobox.img : /mnt/user

So no, unless it's specific circumstances, a chroot jail is writable, like your hard disk. It's like a Linux system in another Linux system.
If you install Falkon, it won't touch anything of your /mnt/onboard partition, and it will only install in /mnt/user. You can always return to Nickel by rebooting the device:
Code
sync && reboot
And uninstalling KoBox is as easy as deleting the disk image (mostly, you can delete NickelMenu and KFMon if you really want to also). That's one great advantage of chroots; all is containerized.
Though I still recommend you to make a backup before you try this.

#15  Georgelemental 01-17-2021, 06:12 PM
First of all, this is quite impressive!

I tried running it on my Kobo Aura H20 2 v2. It boots fine. However, the display is upside-down (reverse portrait), and touch input is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise from the visual display. The value of /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate is 3 and attempts to change it have no effect.

#16  Elektron 01-17-2021, 06:34 PM
Thanks for proving it safe to run on the H2O 2v2. I was afraid to brick it

#17  NiMa 01-17-2021, 08:20 PM
Quote Georgelemental
First of all, this is quite impressive!

I tried running it on my Kobo Aura H20 2 v2. It boots fine. However, the display is upside-down (reverse portrait), and touch input is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise from the visual display. The value of /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate is 3 and attempts to change it have no effect.
Hi,
Glad to see you got it up and running. You should see the Landscape mode hack (search "forceallowlandscape kobo" in Google) and that will probably solve all of your problems. You'll get a new landscape mode switch in your tray and you'll just have to toggle the "Landscape" mode.
Please let me know how it goes

#18  Georgelemental 01-17-2021, 11:06 PM
Quote NiMa
Hi,
Glad to see you got it up and running. You should see the Landscape mode hack (search "forceallowlandscape kobo" in Google) and that will probably solve all of your problems. You'll get a new landscape mode switch in your tray and you'll just have to toggle the "Landscape" mode.
Please let me know how it goes
When I turn on landscape mode, touch input in Nickel is rotated 180 degrees from the display.

#19  NiMa 01-18-2021, 12:53 AM
Quote Georgelemental
When I turn on landscape mode, touch input in Nickel is rotated 180 degrees from the display.
I'll adjust the Python file for your problem then. You should get it by tomorrow morning here in Canada
Now I need some sleep...

#20  NiMa 01-18-2021, 07:51 AM
Quote NiMa
I'll adjust the Python file for your problem then. You should get it by tomorrow morning here in Canada
Now I need some sleep...
Hi,
I checked my Python file and I doubt that that's the problem. Can you try starting up KoBox and then telnet/SSH your Kobo and entering this command:
Code
echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate
even if you've already tried it? Then, tap somewhere on the screen to activate elements and you could see an update. If that doesn't work, try again with 0.5 instead of 1, and restarting your Kobo if this does nothing, then retyping the command in with the last number.
I hope it'll work for you!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/21)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register