Mobileread
Not Well formed 1.4.3
#11  KevinH 01-09-2021, 05:11 PM
That message was mostly leftover from the old days when Sigil used HTML Tidy and it would occasionally mess up.

Modern versions of Sigil use the gumbo parser that autorepairs following the exact same rules as major browsers like Safari, Edge, Chrome, Firefox.

Sigil has git checkpointing built in. So before making any change simply run Checkpoint so that you can see the diffs of what changed and even revert to an earlier checkpoint if you so desire.

#12  KevinH 01-09-2021, 05:15 PM
FWIW, any version of Sigil in the 0.9.x range long used gumbo Mend to silently fix things like missing doctypes when moving files to old "standard" layouts. Gumbo did that literally for years with no problems. Running gumbo (Mend) is very safe in general.

#13  DiapDealer 01-09-2021, 07:08 PM
Quote BeckyEbook
What will be changed you cannot see, but ...

If you want to see what exactly Sigil changes during these changes:
1. Open the EPUB file
2. If you see the message, choose [No]
3. Save the checkpoint (Checkpoints > Create Checkpoint for Epub or [🡅] icon)
4. Close the EPUB file (without saving!)
5. Open the same EPUB file again
6. Select [Yes] when you see the message
7. Check what has changed (Checkpoints > Compare Epub against Checkpoint or [±] icon)
Thank you! You saved me the trouble of typing all that.

#14  JSWolf 01-09-2021, 07:40 PM
Windows 10 Home 64-bit and Sigi 1.4.3 64-bit

I follow the directions just posted. When I click the icons to compare ePub against the checkpoint, i get Diff Failed: No checkpoints found. But when I go to Manage Checkpoint Repositories, I see the checkpoint I created.

Am I doing anything wrong?

#15  KevinH 01-09-2021, 08:33 PM
The uuid of the opf is used as the checkpoint repo identifier and one is created if none exists but if you did not save after the checkpoint, the next time you load that epub, yet another new uuid will be created and no match will be found.

So load your epub, do not allow mend. Do the checkpoint. That will add a uuid dc identifier automatically. Save that file to a new name (to prevent confusion). Now you can either run Mend now and thendo the compare against the checkpoint or load the newly saved file and then run mend, and compare this to its checkpoint.

This is only as issue for epubs that do not have any uuid dc:identifier to begin with.

#16  odamizu 01-10-2021, 12:04 AM
Thank you, BeckyEbook, for the Checkpoint suggestion.

One question I've had about Checkpoint that I keep forgetting to ask — is there a way to add a note to each Checkpoint version to remind myself where I am in the editing process with each Checkpoint? e.g., "before Mend", "spellcheck complete", "before experimenting with css" ...

Quote KevinH
That message was mostly leftover from the old days when Sigil used HTML Tidy and it would occasionally mess up ...
Quote KevinH
FWIW, any version of Sigil in the 0.9.x range long used gumbo Mend to silently fix things like missing doctypes when moving files to old "standard" layouts ...
Thank you KevinH. In that case, I will dismiss any unease I feel when the pop-up pops up

#17  KevinH 01-10-2021, 10:19 AM
We thought about prompting the user for a short descriptor to accompany each checkpoint, but when tested with heavy usage it got annoying. So the exact date and time of the commit is all we use now. The repo manager will allow you to see diffs between checkpoints in summary and to of course remove the repo.

The other big use case is to check things immediately after a major tool was run to see what changed. In that case you always want to diff current against the most recent checkpoint which again makes notes unnecessary.

If you are uncertain about which checkpoint you want, you can look at the repo manager and do diffs to determine which one to revert to. Hopefully that will be a rare occurrence.

#18  odamizu 01-10-2021, 01:42 PM
Thank you. Makes sense

#19  what 03-04-2021, 08:58 AM
The W3C's EPUB 3 Community Group has published a collection of EPUB 3.0 samples in their EPUB 3 Samples Project at http://idpf.github.io/epub3-samples/30/samples.html. The readme to the collection informs: "We want to make sure all samples provided here are conformant, pristine, and employ best practices consistently". When I open the Moby Dick or The Wasteland samples from that repository in Sigil, Sigil warns me that

This EPUB has HTML files that are not well formed or are missing a DOCTYPE, html, head, or body elements.
Since these samples were specifically created to be standard conformant and show best practices, I'm wondering why Sigil thinks these files should be fixed.

#20  KevinH 03-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Missing DOCTYPE
This was discussed numerous times here. According to the spec, a doctype is required for html5 and it says in the epub3 spec it inherits all structural rules of html5 unless explicit stated otherwise and a doctype exception is never listed.
As for epub2, the doctype is where named entities are specified in xhtml and therefore required, since Sigil allows a specific set of common named entities to be used.
And epubcheck has a few bugs related to whether to detect if a doctype is missing or not.

Sigil requires them based on the current epub 3.0.1, 3.1, and 3.2 spec. And because if a future epub spec allows us to use html (as is being discussed) adding a doctype will future proof things. Furthermore a doctype is universally accepted (nothing ever rejects an epub because it has a doctype).

BTW, those samples are old and use many things now deprecated and discouraged.

See this earlier post that cites the specs:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=40

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register