Mobileread
What Features or Tools does Sigil Still Need Yet?
#11  Doitsu 12-16-2020, 09:19 AM
While Sigil has a fully functioning metadata editor, I liked the table-based design of earlier versions better.

Here's a mockup of a table-based metadata editor (based on my epub2 metadata plugin) that I'd like to see in a future version:

image »

(The Title File-As box should be hidden for epub2 books.)

I know that it'll be difficult to create a solution that works for epub3 and epub2 books, but especially new Sigil users will probably prefer a table-based GUI over a tree-based GUI.

#12  KevinH 12-16-2020, 09:37 AM
And for things that epub3 allows that epub2 does not such as multiple titles, series information, most of the refines, multiple languages where order is important, etc, how would you handle that in this table framework?

Perhaps a "Advanced Button" that shows the current metadata editor?

#13  Thasaidon 12-16-2020, 09:55 AM
Quote KevinH
But unfortunately given the multiple icon sets that can now be used, that is no longer straight forward. And given how customizable the Tool bar icons are, two screen shots can look very different.
Then what about add a preface highlighting this problem and stating that to simplify things the sceenshots will only use one set of icons. The preface could contain each set of icons with the same function icons grouped together.

Next to each screenshot (et al) a note saying "See Preface" which also has link to the preface.

If the icon concerned is also named in the text i.e. "Create TOC", I think that may cover it

Just off the top of my head if no one has a better idea.

#14  elibrarian 12-16-2020, 10:06 AM
My deeply felt congratulations and thanks to KevinH and DiapDealer for their absolutely brilliant work. I remember the feeling of desperation when UserNone gave up on Sigil. I also find it amazing how many professionel epub producers (DAISY among others) are promoting Sigil as THE goto tool. But of course there aren't so many others, Calibre's editor being the only alternative (or at least the only one besides Sigil that aren't ripping the bottom out of your purse).

That said, I have a couple of modest suggestions:

Headers (H1-H6) will always be a full line. So why not make the CTRL + 1 etc. insert <h1>-</h1> tags around the line, in which the cursor is placed, if (and only if) no text is selected?

Almost the same goes for bold, italics etc. - if no text is selected, the ctrl + b (e.g.) could surround the word where the cursor is placed.

(I have made something like it in most of my tekst/html-editors using macros or AutoHotKey, and you'll be amazed how many mouse moves and time it saves!)

Also, how about an autocorrect function with the ability to use personal and exchangeable word lists (like the one in Atlantis, but with regexes)?

And then one small gripe: When I regenerate a TOC, Sigil will preserve the header and the "<nav epub:type='toc' id='toc'>", but removes "role='doc-toc'". It is of course a small thing to re-insert (I always run ACE as one of the last things before publishing my books, and it will tell me if I forget).

Regards,

Kim

#15  Doitsu 12-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Quote KevinH
Perhaps a "Advanced Button" that shows the current metadata editor?
IMHO, either an Advanced button and/or an Advanced right-click menu option would work.

#16  KevinH 12-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Unfortunately, the nav is being completely rebuilt each time from scratch and any added attributes are lost. That said, any time we add an epub-type toc attribute we can add in the matching aria roll attribute as well. It can not hurt!

As for default selections for editing when format tools are used when no text is selected, I will look into that. That should be doable.

I personally am not a fan of autocorrect or autocomplete. When writing longer things I typically speed things up by using my own unique abbreviations for longer or often used words and then doing a find and replace for each abbreviation. But this is typically done in a Word Processor long before loading it into Sigil.

So let's hear what others are think about that feature request.

Thanks!

Quote elibrarian

Headers (H1-H6) will always be a full line. So why not make the CTRL + 1 etc. insert <h1>-</h1> tags around the line, in which the cursor is placed, if (and only if) no text is selected?

Almost the same goes for bold, italics etc. - if no text is selected, the ctrl + b (e.g.) could surround the word where the cursor is placed.

(I have made something like it in most of my tekst/html-editors using macros or AutoHotKey, and you'll be amazed how many mouse moves and time it saves!)

Also, how about an autocorrect function with the ability to use personal and exchangeable word lists (like the one in Atlantis, but with regexes)?

And then one small gripe: When I regenerate a TOC, Sigil will preserve the header and the "<nav epub:type='toc' id='toc'>", but removes "role='doc-toc'". It is of course a small thing to re-insert (I always run ACE as one of the last things before publishing my books, and it will tell me if I forget).

Regards,

Kim

#17  elibrarian 12-16-2020, 10:57 AM
Quote KevinH
I personally am not a fan of autocorrect or autocomplete. When writing longer things I typically speed things up by using my own unique abbreviations for longer or often used words and then doing a find and replace for each abbreviation. But this is typically done in a Word Processor long before loading it into Sigil.
I see that I've not been totally clear on what I suggest - I am not that great a fan of autocorrect myself, and habitually turn it off in Word etc. What I'm after is the part of the Atlantis autocorrect function that allows to load a personal/customised list of corrections and run it upon a whole text, which is extremely useful for correcting OCR'ed texts, especially from blackletter prints, where even Abbyy and gImageReader makes the same errors time and time again.

Hope this will clarify my meaning.

Regards,

Kim

#18  KevinH 12-16-2020, 11:08 AM
Sounds like a good idea for a plugin.

In fact there are already plugins that try to do things like this for common scanner mistakes. I am not sure if they are word list driven or not.

Obviously this list would need to be language specific.
Would this word list of find and replaces be book specific or reasonably static?

Could it be autogenerated from spellcheck and suggestion output?

Let's see what other people think, especially plugin devs.

Quote elibrarian
I see that I've not been totally clear on what I suggest - I am not that great a fan of autocorrect myself, and habitually turn it off in Word etc. What I'm after is the part of the Atlantis autocorrect function that allows to load a personal/customised list of corrections and run it upon a whole text, which is extremely useful for correcting OCR'ed texts, especially from blackletter prints, where even Abbyy and gImageReader makes the same errors time and time again.

Hope this will clarify my meaning.

Regards,

Kim

#19  DiapDealer 12-16-2020, 11:17 AM
I like the table-based metadata editor more, as well. But I also understand (and agree with) the reasons it is the way it is now. It's just a bit unfortunate that the metadata editor is a bit of a catch-22 in its current state. It offers a way to edit metadata in a wysiwyg manner, but using it effectively means that a fairly thorough understanding of metadata specifications and their various hierarchies is sort of a pre-requisite. And having a fairly thorough understanding of metadata specifications and their various hierarchies can mean that manually editing the opf to add metadata might actually be simpler.

But the bottom line for me is that I don't think there's a solution for a wysiwyg metadata editor for epub3 that would appeal to those already knowledgeable and would also be intuitive enough for a novice to navigate.

In other words: the easier it is, the less it can do; and the more it can do, the less useful it becomes to those who understand its use. *shrug*

That's not meant to dismiss the suggestion at all. But then I don't use the new metadata editor any more than (or less) than I did the previous one.

#20  Doitsu 12-16-2020, 11:18 AM
@KevinH

For reference purposes, here's a screenshot of the Atlantis WP Autocorrect dialog.

image »

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/18)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register