Mobileread
NickelMenu: An integrated launcher for Kobo eReaders
#11  geek1011 05-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Quote Carmelocotonto
The problem is that when I exit from vlasovsoft program, the items have disappeared and I must install NickelMenu again.
You've probably run into the failsafe. Try waiting a few seconds longer after turning on your Kobo. I'll probably half the failsafe time for the next version (it was longer during development to make things easier).

Edit: looks like sherman responded at the same time .
Edit 1: Here's a test build with the timeout halved: https://github.com/geek1011/NickelMenu/suites/646899368/artifacts/5490309.

#12  NiLuJe 05-01-2020, 08:36 PM
@geek1011: Actually, does anything ever delete the .failsafe if the "loaded from .failsafe" check is tripped after a reboot?

(I seem to recall rebooting a couple times and it still being there when I tripped it after my Lucky Luke incident, if you recall . I basically renamed it manually to fix it.).

Because if it's still here, even after a reinstall, that check'll probably still get tripped, I suppose?

#13  geek1011 05-01-2020, 08:42 PM
Quote NiLuJe
@geek1011: Actually, does anything ever delete the .failsafe if the "loaded from .failsafe" check is tripped after a reboot?

(I seem to recall rebooting a couple times and it still being there when I tripped it after my Lucky Luke incident, if you recall . I basically renamed it manually to fix it.).

Because if it's still here, even after a reinstall, that check'll probably still get tripped, I suppose?
It gets deleted on the next successful run, but it's harmless to have around, since both plugins will still be loaded without conflicts after the failsafe exits itself. I figured it was safer and simpler to leave it as, since it'll get cleaned up anyways.

#14  NiLuJe 05-01-2020, 08:43 PM
@geek1011: But is there a successful run if both the .so and .failsafe are loaded?

EDIT: Okay, tried it for fun, yeah, that works, :+1: .

#15  Carmelocotonto 05-02-2020, 03:57 AM
Quote sherman
I think vlasovsoft triggered the failsafe, because it kills Nickel. Try reinstalling NickelMenu, then wait at least 20 seconds before launching vlasovsoft.

@geek1011 you may want to shorten the failsafe time, or make it configurable.
Hi Sherman and geek1011. Yes. I have waited more than 20 seconds before running coolreader from NickelMenu and indeed everything has worked fine. Items have not disappeared.
Am I to understand that the same can not be done with Koreader v.2020.4 (initial)?. Should I install the latest version of koreader?

#16  John F 05-02-2020, 07:48 AM
I tried this with firmware version 4.12.12111 on My Glo HD and had problems.

I added the line to invert the screen. I saw it in the menu. When I tapped on it, there was a delay, and then my Glo HD rebooted (the screen wasn't inverted).

I tried it in both the main menu and the reading menu.

If I upgrade the firmware in the future, I'll give this another try.

#17  NiLuJe 05-02-2020, 11:38 AM
@John F: Does flipping the setting manually and/or from the Dev menu exhibit the same behavior? Do you happen to have the legacy nightmode hack installed?

#18  John F 05-02-2020, 01:13 PM
Quote NiLuJe
@John F: Does flipping the setting manually and/or from the Dev menu exhibit the same behavior? Do you happen to have the legacy nightmode hack installed?
Invert using the ADE page number patch works fine.

Invert using devmodeon works fine.

I don't think I have the night mode hack installed, although I did a couple of firmwares ago.

#19  Alan_S 05-02-2020, 03:53 PM
Quote NiLuJe
The matching NickelMenu entry for the main menu would be

Code
menu_item : main : Start KOReader : kfmon : koreader.png
If possible, add this into documentation, at the moment there's only Plato version, it may help koreader users.

And, as idea, not sure if it is possible (so far I used only KSM, not KFmon or something like it), could it autostart some things and thus avoid going to nickel altogether?

Yes, I'm not fan of nickel (as I mentioned, I use KSM), so if it is possible, I would like to skip nickel as much as possible and use something like KSM, which, at the moment, is no longer supported.

#20  NiLuJe 05-02-2020, 04:04 PM
@Alan_S: The doc will be updated once we can do dynamic listing, as stuff like that will essentially be unnecessary.
In the meantime, see #3 .

And no, the fact that there's "Nickel" in the name should have been a pretty big hint that we kind of need Nickel .

(And you already know my position on the fact that trying to bypass Nickel is a potentially stupid idea, especially on modern devices).

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/48)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register