Mobileread
HELP with Sigil
#21  Vroni 09-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Quote un_pogaz
But I think of all those who use Sigil think that it is a WYSIWYG editor because it has been presented to them as such.
A counterexample is enough to refute that. I am using Sigil since 0.34 and i choosed it to have control over every little screw and i only used bookview as a very first rough preview.

#22  DiapDealer 09-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Quote un_pogaz
Many will abandon Sigil because BookView has disappeared and he can't imagine any other way of working than in WYSIWYG (and we never will be).
Then they were never going to like Sigil, and I don't really care. If you think I'm in this because I want to see Sigil being used by millions of people who rave about it being the best, then you're sadly mistaken. I'm not motivated by trying to make Sigil the most popular epub editing software ever. Not even a little bit. I'm trying to make Sigil useful. If you need full WYSIWYG capabilities, then Sigil was never the software for you (rhetorical you). If you're a coder and you just need a bit WYSIWYG tweaking then PageEdit will easily accommodate you (even utterly unincorporated with Sigil as it is). The only people the ditching of Book View will dramatically affect are those who (bewilderingly) were using Sigil as an authoring (read -- word-processing) tool with no html/css knowledge whatsoever. Something it was never intended to be used for/by.

PageEdit will remain a separately launched tool (installed anywhere the user likes, and configured with the provided button in Sigil), and Sigil will continue to lack any WYSIWYG descriptors until people get it.

This conversation is pointless in the grand scheme of things. People will learn, or they will be left behind. Their choice. In a year, everyone will have adapted or moved on, and none of this will even matter. I once believed in my heart that Sigil 0.4.2-ish was the be-all, end-all version of Sigil. And that any version after the 0.4.x series was an abomination. This too shall pass.

#23  theducks 09-13-2019, 11:09 AM
I started way back in the 0.x era (2010).
It only took me 3 times trying to join a broken paragraph in Bookview to decide to never make a change there, only to view and locate (code was synced to BV).

PS I did not even know any REGEX back then

#24  exaltedwombat 09-15-2019, 05:40 PM
When I first encountered Sigil, I was beyond the stage where open-source software could confuse me with a plethora of download options - source code, x-86, x-64 (obviously with my latest Windows version I needed the higher number, right?), Linux (what's Linux?) etc. But I knew plenty of people who would have fallen at that hurdle.

I joined the fold when my friend, owner of a not-so-small publishing company, thought it would be a good idea to teach me how to help him with eBook conversion. He prepared his books in Word, then into Quark for page layout. As he had pretty well-formed Word files, Calibre was giving him pretty clean code. He tidied up in Sigil.

My first impression of Sigil was 'there must be something better than this!' Then I realised there was a layer underneath Book View which he had never used and wasn't showing me. Yes, you can be a successful eBook publisher without ever straying beyond WYSIWYG! He was even getting functioning footnotes!

I find exactly the same scenario when wearing my other hat as a musician. Good musicians who own advanced software but do little but scratch the surface. (Of course, in music we encounter another breed too. Those who are adept on the computer but know little of how music works. At least eBook newbies don't expect Sigil to write the story for them!)

#25  exaltedwombat 09-15-2019, 05:41 PM

#26  crusader642 01-23-2021, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have just installed Sigil on another machine and was as surprised as the original contributor that I lost the ability to edit the text directly. I know a little HTML but not having to worry about it was great when, for example, having to put in line feeds after Calibre joined sentences together. I have installed 0.9.14 and it's working fine again.

#27  Notjohn 01-27-2021, 12:58 PM
Quote DNSB
For me, the Preview pane ... gives me the best of both worlds.
Amen to that! (I don't use a second monitor.)

#28  Thasaidon 01-27-2021, 07:52 PM
Quote DiapDealer
Kevin talked me down.
My already great respect for Kevin has reached a new high.

« First  « Prev   (3/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register