Mobileread
Summary of Modified Fonts
#531  JeanPierre 08-17-2020, 11:45 AM
Quote JSWolf
Sorry,but you are not correct about the spacing. Have a look at post #516 in this thread and look at the two photos. You will see that in Literata v3, the spacing is off compared to Literata Book. Both photos are justofoed so that is not the reason for the odd spacing with Literata. If as you say that Literata is a newer version of Literata Book, whoever change Literata Book to Literata didn't do it correctly.
516 is the post that I am responding to, JSWolf. Everything I said is correct. Look at the individual words rather than the space between them. Also, as I said, you should compare 12pt with Book for a fairer comparison.

#532  JeanPierre 08-17-2020, 11:47 AM
Quote ZodWallop
The space between letters comes from Kobo sucking at kepub layout, particularly when enabling ligatures. I've gotten used to it.

My shots were only to show the difference in line height between Literata and Literata Book. Literata is not useful to me due to the line height.
Find below my first post where I shared Literata Book with the forum. Emphasis added.

Quote JeanPierre
I just discovered Literata Book on fontsquirrel: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book

I'm using the ttf that results from running it through the Kobify Fonts script. It looks like this version of Literata has had the line height adjusted. With Literata I was using a line spacing setting of 0.9. With Literata Book this is equivalent to a 1.1. Some strangeness with letter alignment of bold fonts seems to have been fixed too.

#533  JSWolf 08-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Quote ZodWallop
The space between letters comes from Kobo sucking at kepub layout, particularly when enabling ligatures. I've gotten used to it.

My shots were only to show the difference in line height between Literata and Literata Book. Literata is not useful to me due to the line height.
The odd spacing with Literata happens with ePub. RMSDK has much better font handling then Access. I can't recommend using Literata because it doesn't look right on screen.

#534  ZodWallop 08-17-2020, 12:09 PM
Quote JeanPierre
Find below my first post where I shared Literata Book with the forum. Emphasis added.
Not sure where you are going with this. It may well be that I am missing your point.

Here are two new photos. One is Literata 12pt as you recommend. The other is Literata Book. These are both as they come, no tinkering in FontForge.

In the end, there are less lines of text on screen when using Literata. Line Height on my Kobo is slid all the way to the left. I cannot make it less than it is.

I suspect you are fighting a battle nobody else is engaged in.
Literata.jpg Literata Book.jpg 

#535  JeanPierre 08-17-2020, 12:30 PM
Quote ZodWallop
Not sure where you are going with this. It may well be that I am missing your point.

Here are two new photos. One is Literata 12pt as you recommend. The other is Literata Book. These are both as they come, no tinkering in FontForge.

In the end, there are less lines of text on screen when using Literata. Line Height on my Kobo is slid all the way to the left. I cannot make it less than it is.
My point is that you can use the line height settings I gave to calculate the equivalent line height for Literata from your preferred setting for Literata Book. I had figured you would be able to work out that the leftmost position on your reader doesn't matter since this can be altered using the patches shared in the forum.

Quote ZodWallop
I suspect you are fighting a battle nobody else is engaged in.
LOL! You're welcome!

#536  ZodWallop 08-17-2020, 12:55 PM
Quote JeanPierre
My point is that you can use the line height settings I gave to calculate the equivalent line height for Literata from your preferred setting for Literata Book.
Since line height on my Kobo is already as small as the device will go, nothing short of editing the font is going to make the line height any smaller. And in the end, it just isn't worth the hassle. Literata Book is near identical and doesn't require tinkering.

#537  JSWolf 08-18-2020, 07:18 PM
@JeanPierre

Can you prove that Literata is not broken? The book version looks a lot better.

« First  « Prev   (54/54)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register