Mobileread
Trojan in Calibre portable 4.91?
#1  Kefir 01-25-2020, 05:47 AM
Bitdefender reports Trojan.GenericKD.4228400 in Calibre portable 4.9.1 (calibre-portable.exe).

Anybody experienced a similar behaviour?

#2  kovidgoyal 01-25-2020, 05:53 AM
Completely clear according to 70 antivirus products

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/40b90319a0ba921467ad9b7211942accf73d1d19ccb03c6167 49bfbf9d3d370a/detection

#3  Kefir 01-25-2020, 05:56 AM
That's what I thought. Thank you.

#4  joelack99 01-25-2020, 08:38 AM
Bitdefender is fine with it but it won’t install for me. “Failed to move Calibre-portable.exe, make sure calibre is not running”. It is not. No, the disk isn’t full

#5  joelack99 01-25-2020, 09:23 AM
Update: Bitdefender did not report an error on scan but after update attempt, the Bitdefender log says: Threat Blocked: Trojan.GenerickKD.42284001 Path: F:\Calibre\Calibre Portable\Calibre Portable\_unpack_calibre_portable\Calibre Portable\calibre\portable.exe
I had already deleted that unpack directory in attempt to get installation to proceed. Now it's acting like it doesn't have write permissions.

#6  JSWolf 01-25-2020, 09:28 AM
Bitdefender needs to go. It doesn't work well. Too many false positives.

#7  stumped 01-25-2020, 09:38 AM
Quote JSWolf
Bitdefender needs to go. It doesn't work well. Too many false positives.
I use bit defender free only on Android tablets, as its very unobtrusive. It has yet to actually detect anything but i would not expect it to. I only use reputable sources.
Malware bytes, which I use on pc, has an annoying habit of starting very slow complete scans on tablets. All I need is for new apps or files to be checked. I don't need a rescan of the 200 apps that it scanned last week!
M does fully scan the pc regularly but usually I am only aware it has happened when a pop up says finished and all clean. There is no visible slow down.

#8  JSWolf 01-25-2020, 09:45 AM
Quote stumped
I use bit defender free only on Android tablets, as its very unobtrusive. It has yet to actually detect anything but i would not expect it to. I only use reputable sources.
Malware bytes, which I use on pc, has an annoying habit of starting very slow complete scans on tablets. All I need is for new apps or files to be checked. I don't need a rescan of the 200 apps that it scanned last week!
M does fully scan the pc regularly but usually I am only aware it has happened when a pop up says finished and all clean. There is no visible slow down.
The way I'd like to see scanning work is a full scan is done and then not done unless something is found. Anything missed in the full scan will be found in normal use.

#9  joelack99 01-25-2020, 10:20 AM
I've never had it pick up anything on file scans. But it does find web intrusion threats regularly if I leave the content server running. False positives? Maybe. Not inclined to turn it off to see.

#10  joelack99 01-25-2020, 12:47 PM
Quote joelack99
Update: Bitdefender did not report an error on scan but after update attempt, the Bitdefender log says: Threat Blocked: Trojan.GenerickKD.42284001 Path: F:\Calibre\Calibre Portable\Calibre Portable\_unpack_calibre_portable\Calibre Portable\calibre\portable.exe
I had already deleted that unpack directory in attempt to get installation to proceed. Now it's acting like it doesn't have write permissions.
If you've read this far and are curious you may want an update:
I fixed my install problem but not sure what was wrong:
1) I disabled Bitdefender and tried to install -- it still failed; it is unable to copy the .exe into my portable directory. The trojan/virus thought was, as Kovin and JS Wolf indicate, a false positive and not my issue.
2) I created a new directory and installed fresh into it with no problems, then I copied the portable .exe and the Calibre directory from it into the original Calibre directory. Runs fine.

So apparently I can copy files where the installer failed. Yet it was running under my account and should have had no problems. wonder why?

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register