Mobileread
Surface pro 1st gen screen Orientation
#1  arganami 01-23-2020, 03:28 PM
Hi

i am a relatively new user. I installed Latest Calibre, started it and It changed the screen orientation, when I exited Calibre the screen rotation worked. I unistalled that version and installed latest v. 3, now the screen works fine. Is there anyway to fix it so that I can run v. 4?

#2  Apache 01-23-2020, 04:57 PM
I have a Surface Pro and Screen Orientation has always worked as it is supposed to with Calibre.
Apache

#3  JSWolf 01-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Which version of Windows are you both running?

#4  BetterRed 01-23-2020, 07:39 PM
@Apache, @JSWolf - maybe the ". . . 1st generation" qualifier may be relevant.

@arganami - try adjusting the Preferences->Look and feel->Adjust for high resolution screens (needs restart): setting

BR

#5  arganami 01-24-2020, 08:25 AM
I'm running latest version of windows, 1909 on Surface Pro 1st gen I5.
I installed Calibre 4.8 twice, each time after a new windows reinstall and both times first start up was ok, subsequent start up, the windows open up in landscape mode no matter if Surface is turned or not and Calibre is in full screen, can not adjust the size.
I instaleed 4.9 and tried changing Adjust for high resolution screens, all three choices was tested, it did not help.

Any other clues? I would really like to run the latest version.

#6  Apache 01-24-2020, 10:13 AM
Some how I missed that he had a 1st Generation. I have a Generation 6 now running the newest version of 10 pro. I remember with my first Surface Pro I had orientation issues with it. It was a problem with the orientation of the Surface becoming fixed and the orientation button would gray out. Microsoft finally got around to fixing that after a few years. I have never had a problem with orientation caused by Calibre.
Apache

#7  arganami 01-24-2020, 10:24 AM
This orientatation issue is caused by Calibre, version 4,8 and 4.9 I have testd. No other app/program cause the problem though I have not tested that many. As far as orientation goes it works perfectly ok, I have no issues with Orientation in general.

#8  kovidgoyal 01-24-2020, 12:21 PM
This is likely an incompatibility with the updated version of Qt calibre 4 uses and your device. calibre itself contains no code that deals with screen orientation at all.

#9  arganami 01-24-2020, 12:40 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
This is likely an incompatibility with the updated version of Qt calibre 4 uses and your device. calibre itself contains no code that deals with screen orientation at all.
So I guess no chances of getting newer version, I have to run version 3?

#10  kovidgoyal 01-24-2020, 10:36 PM
Quote arganami
So I guess no chances of getting newer version, I have to run version 3?
You can try searching for workarounds involving Qt and your device, but since it is hardware/drivers specific for a single model of surface, there may not be any.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register