Mobileread
Does the Kindle get discolored?
#1  seajewel 06-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I've seen some horrific looking white ibooks out there, where the white is more like yellow or gray. I'm afraid the Kindle might do that after a while, although I assume that there will be a newer and better ebook device out earlier before discoloration might happen. Has anybody had it for a while and noticed any discoloration?

#2  Elsi 06-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Quote seajewel
I've seen some horrific looking white ibooks out there, where the white is more like yellow or gray. I'm afraid the Kindle might do that after a while, although I assume that there will be a newer and better ebook device out earlier before discoloration might happen. Has anybody had it for a while and noticed any discoloration?
I've had mine since February. It hasn't changed color, though I was reading while eating Italian last week and had to wipe a small tomato-ish smear from the right "Next Page" button.

#3  MoSo 06-09-2008, 06:04 PM
It's definitely "winter white" compared to "appliance white" and has a matte finish, not glossy, so that should all help. I haven't read any reports about it discoloring, but I'd expect it to be lnger than 6 months for that to happen, too.

#4  RickyMaveety 06-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I have heard reports about the MEdge leather covers staining it and those stains being impossible to remove. So, that's something to be aware of.

#5  KlondikeGeoff 06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Had mine six months, and no color change yet.

Some people who hate the white color might be happy if it did change.

#6  TallMomof2 06-09-2008, 08:42 PM
No color change and any smudges are easily removed with the wipes I use on my eyeglasses. The M-Edge cover hasn't stained it either.

#7  MoSo 06-09-2008, 09:16 PM
It was one of the black M-edge covers that was staining - can't remember if it was the leather one or the leather-look one. My red leather cover hasn't stained at all.

#8  Ervserver 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Our Kindle is 3 months old, no color change yet

#9  JSWolf 06-10-2008, 12:13 AM
One of the major reasons for the color change for the ibooks is smoking. NEVER EVER smoke around electronic equipment. Not only does it discolor it, but it can actually break it or cause tit to void the warrenty. I've seen computers where people have smoked and they are so disgusting, that I'd rather toss the computer out and have the person buy a new one.

#10  TallMomof2 06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I believe it about smoking. I have a lot of furniture that was handed down from relatives who smoked and even after 20 years I still can wipe residue from the wood, especially the unfinished sections.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register