Mobileread
Day one with my new Kindle
#1  gravescp 06-07-2008, 06:03 AM
I have spent a full day with my new Kindle. I have read a full NYT, 3 samples from amazon, and 1/2 of a free feedbook's book. I can't say how much I love this device. The pictures online give the device no justice, and I must agree with many others that you really have to see the device in person to appreciate it.

If you are on the fence for the kindle order it and use it a little. With amazon's 30 day return you have only the $10 shipping to lose.

#2  CopperTrail 06-07-2008, 06:33 AM
My Kindle arrived last week and I share your thoughts. The more I use it, the more I like it. Its an amazing device Congrats on your new Kindle and enjoy!

#3  HarryT 06-07-2008, 06:41 AM
As a matter of interest, what influenced you to buy a Kindle rather than one of the other eInk devices on the market?

#4  HaggisMacJedi 06-07-2008, 08:18 AM
I just got my Kindle yesterday, and I'll tell you what my thinking was: (By the way, I just cut and pasted this from the NutriSystem forums where I was asked the same question):

Quote lisamill
Hey Haggis... I purchased the Sony e-reader on line and I really like it, but I have not seen a kindle (I'm in Canada) so I don't have a comparison. If you get the e-reader now you can download up to 100 free books (all classics but some great ones).
Yeah, I saw that. In fact, at Walmart.com I saw the Sony 505 for only $268 (and also with the free "classic" book downloads), and it was really tempting. In fact, I had the payment form ready to go, but backed out at the last minute. I looked over the list of "free" books and realized the VAST majority of those were public domain and could already be had for free. Then I looked closer and noticed that really only a couple of them interested me, and even then only marginally.

I went with the Kindle for a few reasons, and some of them are not really good reasons, but added up in the long haul. I'm not against the Sony E-reader, in fact, I think it's probably a better piece of hardware, but here was my thinking in getting the Kindle (FOR NOW):

I'm sure that better and more affordable e-reading devices will come along (or at least they should), but until then I'll stick with the Kindle...unless it sucks, and then I'll return it and get the Sony from Wal Mart. Anywho, it appears that for at least the next couple of years the models that are out are the models we will have, so why not jump in now and go for it? I'm willing to pay a little more to have the luxury now. After all, I'm saving money now by eating less and taking less medication. I say that deserves a reward.

Hey...the Kindle's an NSV reward!

#5  Ervserver 06-07-2008, 10:22 AM
From what I can tell very few decide to send back the Kindle

#6  honeybunny 06-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Just chiming in, I went with the Kindle because the Amazon price for the equivalent best-seller ebooks is so much less!

#7  HarryT 06-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Quote honeybunny
Just chiming in, I went with the Kindle because the Amazon price for the equivalent best-seller ebooks is so much less!
So much less than what?

I've just looked at the current NYT bestseller list, and their number 1 book is "Blood Noir" by Laurell Hamilton.

This costs $9.99 in the Kindle store, but only $9.71 at Fictionwise in both MobiPocket and Microsoft Reader formats.

Number 2 is "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer. $9.99 at Kindle, $9.79 at Fictionwise.

Number 3 is "Odd Hours" by Dean Koontz. $9.99 at Kindle, $9.80 at Fictionwise.

In fact, out of the current top five on the NYT list, four are (slightly) more expensive at the Kindle store than at Fictionwise.

#8  honeybunny 06-07-2008, 11:33 AM
One of the first purchases I made was the new Mary Higgins Clark. It was then going for $24.99 at Fictionwise, and i got it for $9.99 at Amazon. It is possible that Fictionwise and others have adjusted their prices downward due to the Kindle.

#9  honeybunny 06-07-2008, 11:34 AM
And if you are referring to Fictionwise's Micropay rebate thing, that's not quite valid with comparing it to Amazon's "normal" price.

#10  HarryT 06-07-2008, 11:39 AM
It's "real money". I agree that it's not the "list price", but you never pay "list price" at FW any more than you do at Amazon.

Just making the point that one cannot honestly say that that the Kindle Store is significantly cheaper than elsewhere. What the Kindle has indeed done is driven down prices elsewhere - everyone's gained. I applaud Amazon for that.

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register