Mobileread
The Ultimate Kobo Tips & Tricks Thread
#401  pghaworth 12-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Quote DNSB
In that case, we move on to issues with the ebook styles. Does this problem show on all your ebooks? Can you try running a problem ebook through the calibre ScrambleEbook plugin so it can be attached to a message here or PM a link to the ebook.
thank you. I tried another Kobo font that works great for me too and it doesn't have that issue so case closed. I appreciate your time and input.

I am hopeful that the issue has been completely resolved because I only have one book on so far. I need to covert the rest and side load. it was my test case and came across beautifully after converting from original format. should there be further issues I may reach out to you again.

#402  JSWolf 12-12-2019, 05:30 PM
Quote pghaworth
no info given
You need to be logged into the library's Overdrive. That means you've given your details when you got your library card. So yes, info given.

When you buy an eBook, you have to give info.

So yes, info given. There is no way to borrow or buy eBooks without giving info.

#403  zelo86 05-26-2020, 01:27 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm relatively new to the forum and I'd like to ask a question here, I think it's a simple one that has already been answered but I can't find the info I need.
I own 2 ereaders, using one or another as I feel like.
I use Calibre and Kobo desktop for loading ebooks. In Calibre I use Kobo Utilities to store/restore the reading position, but I haven't find a way to store/restore the bookmarks (I'm talking about the dog-ear) I have on the ebooks.
Is it an Annotation plugin feature? If is that so I guess there's no way to transfer this info from one ereader to another, right?

Thanks to anyone who could help me in advance.

Nicola

#404  JSWolf 05-26-2020, 03:26 PM
Quote zelo86
Hello everybody,

I'm relatively new to the forum and I'd like to ask a question here, I think it's a simple one that has already been answered but I can't find the info I need.
I use Calibre and Kobo desktop for loading ebooks.
If you have firmware 4.20 or later, don't use Kobo Desktop to load eBooks. The problem comes from the new series feature released with 4.20. With Kobo Desktop, you cannot use the series feature correctly if you side load using Kobo Desktop. You need to use Calibre to do all your side loading with the series column information set correctly.

#405  zelo86 05-26-2020, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the information, I'm on 4.20.14622 fw.
I don't use series feature often, but it's nice to know.

#406  davidfor 05-27-2020, 12:08 AM
Quote zelo86
Hello everybody,

I use Calibre and Kobo desktop for loading ebooks.
For curiosity, are you using Kobo desktop instead of syncing purchased books over WiFi? I don't see any way to sideload books through it. I was thinking I could add books to the desktop application, but, I can't see how to do that now.
In Calibre I use Kobo Utilities to store/restore the reading position, but I haven't find a way to store/restore the bookmarks (I'm talking about the dog-ear) I have on the ebooks.
Is it an Annotation plugin feature? If is that so I guess there's no way to transfer this info from one ereader to another, right?
I don't know of any tools to backup the annotations from the device. The Annotations plugin will fetch the annotations and store them, but, it is one-way only. I don't think that is likely to change.

Annotations backup and restore has never been something I have been interested in as I don't use them in that way. They are in the database, so dumping the rows from that can be done. For epubs, they are also in the RMSDK annotations directory and those files can be backed up and restored. Both of these have issues as you need to make sure file names match the books.

#407  zelo86 05-27-2020, 11:09 AM
Quote davidfor
For curiosity, are you using Kobo desktop instead of syncing purchased books over WiFi?.
Yes. I purchase book on Kobo Store and transfer them via USB port onto the ereader, I'm old fashioned..
Of course I sideload with Calibre too.

Quote davidfor
I don't know of any tools to backup the annotations from the device. The Annotations plugin will fetch the annotations and store them, but, it is one-way only. I don't think that is likely to change.

Annotations backup and restore has never been something I have been interested in as I don't use them in that way. They are in the database, so dumping the rows from that can be done. For epubs, they are also in the RMSDK annotations directory and those files can be backed up and restored. Both of these have issues as you need to make sure file names match the books.
Thanks for the clarification, I think I will give up using dog-ear as a second reading location method. It it will be enough for me to use the Kobo Utilities for this purpose.
May I ask, how do you use the annotations? I'm just curious..

#408  davidfor 05-27-2020, 09:25 PM
Quote zelo86
Thanks for the clarification, I think I will give up using dog-ear as a second reading location method. It it will be enough for me to use the Kobo Utilities for this purpose.
Bookmark for reading position isn't that useful unless they are being synced automatically. That is a good thing with the WiFi syncing of purchased books. I can be pretty certain that if I read on one device, and then pick up another for some reason, the reading status will be updated as I open the book.
May I ask, how do you use the annotations? I'm just curious..
I mainly used annotations to mark errors in the book I want to fix, or things I want to look up when I'm at a computer. Once I fix the problem, or do the lookup, I delete the annotation. So they are transient and there isn't any real need to sync them elsewhere.

#409  zelo86 05-28-2020, 01:46 PM
Quote davidfor
Bookmark for reading position isn't that useful unless they are being synced automatically. That is a good thing with the WiFi syncing of purchased books. I can be pretty certain that if I read on one device, and then pick up another for some reason, the reading status will be updated as I open the book.
That's a thing I had not considered. It may come handy, I could start syncing via WiFi and getting the bookmark sync as a benefit. Thanks davidfor.

#410  mirage 06-18-2020, 03:25 PM
On the initial signup for a new device, Kobo offers Walmart (even though I didn't buy from them), Facebook, Google, Kobo, or a list of other accounts. But they don't offer me to use an email address from outside any of those services, be it Yahoo or whatever other provider, or my own domain. Is there no way around that?

If I want to buy Kobo books that sync with the device, must the device use a Kobo account that I've initiated the device with?

People here have mentioned burner accounts, which I probably won't end up using, but how can one do that if there's no way to bypass the domains the device's OS gives us to choose from? Hopefully, I'm missing something.

EDIT: It may be that I can tap Kobo and enter whatever email address I choose there to create a new Kobo account. So it appears. Would that then work as the account that I'd buy books with if I so choose?

I'm a tinkerer, but don't want to permanently force myself down a road that I'd ultimately not want to be on, so I'm asking for that reason.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (41/42)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register