Mobileread
Is a gtk version possible?
#1  frandavid100 12-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Hi,

Calibre is the best thing that has happened to me since I bought my Reader. I am a Gnome user and I wonder if there will ever be a version for the gnome desktop, which uses gtk and follows the gnome interface guidelines.

Thanks.

#2  kovidgoyal 12-14-2008, 10:31 AM
There are no plans for one.

#3  frandavid100 12-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I made a quick mockup with a few general ideas, in case there are ever plans for one:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_49lyUbkK9k8/SUU2Xe4TL3I/AAAAAAAAAKI/0wBZ39LZfvo/s1600-h/Pantallazo-2.png

#4  pilotbob 12-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Quote frandavid100
I made a quick mockup with a few general ideas, in case there are ever plans for one:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_49lyUbkK9k8/SUU2Xe4TL3I/AAAAAAAAAKI/0wBZ39LZfvo/s1600-h/Pantallazo-2.png
Quite nice actually, but mising a few things. I was considering doing a mock up too just the other date.

I was thinking along similar lines though. There is to much wasted space on the current UI. But, I doubt we could come up with something everyone likes. I would like to see smaller fonts though in the UI or at least less which space in each row in the grid/list... and the ability to remove the icons in the tag browser.

BOb

#5  frandavid100 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Quote pilotbob
Quite nice actually, but mising a few things.
That's likely, since it was intended as just a general concept. What do you find is missing exactly? I basically put in all the obvious pieces and the ones I use, but didn't stop and think what others might be missing in it.

#6  pilotbob 12-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Quote frandavid100
That's likely, since it was intended as just a general concept. What do you find is missing exactly? I basically put in all the obvious pieces and the ones I use, but didn't stop and think what others might be missing in it.
I don't see a way to turn on cover flow.

I don't see a way to switch from icons view to list view. I rarely use icon view for anything.

I also don't see a place that displays the job(s) and/or bring up the status window.

I don't see a way to bring up the config. But that could be menu driven.. I know on the Mac most native Mac apps have a "preferences pane" that is brought up from the menu or by pressing ⌘, Although that doesn't work in calibre.

BOb

#7  frandavid100 12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Quote pilotbob
I don't see a way to turn on cover flow.

I don't see a way to switch from icons view to list view. I rarely use icon view for anything.

I also don't see a place that displays the job(s) and/or bring up the status window.

I don't see a way to bring up the config. But that could be menu driven.. I know on the Mac most native Mac apps have a "preferences pane" that is brought up from the menu or by pressing ⌘, Although that doesn't work in calibre.

BOb
True. Well, you could always add a menubar. A view combobox (similar to nautilus) could also deal with the first two issues, and another toolbar button could take care of the last one. That would make too many buttons, though.

#8  carpii 12-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Isnt it a bit irrelevant anyway, since there are no plans to do a Gtk version?

Theres nothing to stop you writing your own I guess. Personally I dont see what a Gtk version would add to Calibre.
I dont think it suffers from the interface being written in Python, infact its more usable than many GTk apps I can think of

#9  frandavid100 12-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Quote carpii
Isnt it a bit irrelevant anyway, since there are no plans to do a Gtk version?
Indeed. But there's nothing wrong in asking for someone's opinion just for the sake of it, is it?

Quote carpii
Theres nothing to stop you writing your own I guess. Personally I dont see what a Gtk version would add to Calibre.
I dont think it suffers from the interface being written in Python, infact its more usable than many GTk apps I can think of
There is just one thing I don't like a lot in Calibre and it's the interface. IMHO it wastes lots of space, with those giant buttons, and the link to the webpage in the middle of the main window, and stuff.

#10  kovidgoyal 12-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Quote frandavid100

There is just one thing I don't like a lot in Calibre and it's the interface. IMHO it wastes lots of space, with those giant buttons, and the link to the webpage in the middle of the main window, and stuff.
There's a config option to reduce the size of the icons.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register