Mobileread
Does Calibre Content Server work OUTSIDE my wifi?
#1  nonlinear.nyc 06-23-2020, 08:22 AM
I know it's a newbie question, but I never read anywhere to know for sure it does or it doesn't, so I decided to reach out and ask the community.

I have calibre (regular app, no server) with content server + wireless device connection turned on by default.

I can access content server if my device shares same wifi, but not in a different connection. Nor via ip provided, neither with my public ip.

Am I missing something here? or does Content Server only work on same network, anyway?

Thank you.

And while we're at it, where the content server html/css files reside? I'm an ui designer and I'd like to tweak it. A theme, so to speak.

#2  kovidgoyal 06-23-2020, 08:54 AM
Yes, it works, you will need to forward ports in your router/firewall for it. As for HTML and CSS there is none. The styling all happens in javascript.

#3  MizSuz 07-28-2020, 02:03 AM
In my experience the server must be accessible through a router that has NAT loopback capability if you wish to be able to access your calibre server from a remote location not in your LAN. While that ability used to be standard on routers, increasingly it's become a "security risk" according to ISPs who are providing routers, and an "upgrade feature" to companies selling routers. Meaning we see it as a standard feature less and less in standard home gear often used by ISPs, but more often in gear designed for gaming, running simulators, and the like.

In my experience if you have your server set up correctly and you still can't access it from outside your LAN, then the issue is probably your router not having loopback capability.

#4  davidfor 07-28-2020, 02:15 AM
Quote MizSuz
In my experience the server must be accessible through a router that has NAT loopback capability if you wish to be able to access your calibre server from a remote location not in your LAN. While that ability used to be standard on routers, increasingly it's become a "security risk" according to ISPs who are providing routers, and an "upgrade feature" to companies selling routers. Meaning we see it as a standard feature less and less in standard home gear often used by ISPs, but more often in gear designed for gaming, running simulators, and the like.

In my experience if you have your server set up correctly and you still can't access it from outside your LAN, then the issue is probably your router not having loopback capability.
NAT loopback isn't going to help here. It will only help to allow the user to use the same IP address from inside the firewall as from outside. As @kovidgoyal said, this needs the correct port forwarding setup on the router or firewall involved.

@nonlinear.nyc: Do a search for "port forwarding" and your router model, and you should find a guide to do this. But, if your router is supplied by your ISP, they might have disabled access to do this.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register