Mobileread
Likebook Ares vs. Likebook Mars: First Impressions
#11  parkher 12-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Quote ottischwenk
eInk has 7,8" modules only in glass - not flexible.
Flexible screens are 10,3" and 13.3"
We are talking here about the outer glass layers, not the flexible e-ink screen beneath.
Because for stylus to scratch the screen, only the top-most layer is important.

#12  ottischwenk 12-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Quote parkher
We are talking here about the outer glass layers, not the flexible e-ink screen beneath.
Because for stylus to scratch the screen, only the top-most layer is important.
In Ares there is no flexible eInk layer; it is from glass and can easily break, not so in Alita - this is the real difference.
The stylus can eventually scratch both, but I donot want any handwriting protector on my devices - i cannot mount it without bubbles.

#13  parkher 12-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Quote ottischwenk
In Ares there is no flexible eInk layer; it is from glass and can easily break, not so in Alita - this is the real difference.
The stylus can eventually scratch both, but I donot want any handwriting protector on my devices - i cannot mount it without bubbles.
But the glass on top of the flexible screen - it also can break.
Best of all - Onyx Boox Note. No glass at all.
But also no card and no OTG.
I was even thinking - to take the screen from Note and to put it in Mimas.
It should fit. The same screen, probably comes with the same controller and with the same connector.

As for scratching, perhaps it is really worth using the softer tip for the stylus?
They are in a nice box marked "Boox", so they are the real deal, made by Onyx Boox, or for Onyx Boox. Just as suitable for Boyue.

BTW, in another thread, can you explain in more detail how to use that internal storage option, because I am at total loss. The card simply disappears.

#14  krishrong 12-15-2019, 08:57 AM
I have just bought it, but I wonder if its Wacom pen has palm rejection function??. When I try to write in the zoomed PDF page, my hand still be able to move the page. This makes the writing on PDF function inconvenient or unpractical to use. Has anyone get the problem like me?

#15  gunnm 12-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Quote krishrong
I have just bought it, but I wonder if its Wacom pen has palm rejection function??. When I try to write in the zoomed PDF page, my hand still be able to move the page. This makes the writing on PDF function inconvenient or unpractical to use. Has anyone get the problem like me?
On likebook devices you have to activate the palm rejection, it isn't automatic. The symbol is a pointing hand crossed with a line.

#16  parkher 12-27-2019, 12:50 AM
Anybody had issues with Ares not going to sleep and not shutting off automatically?
My Ares does neither. It does not go to the sleep mode after 2 minutes of inactivity as it is set to do. Even when I switch to the sleep mode manually (by the button or by the cover) - it still does not switch off after the chosen time in sleep mode.
The battery is draining rather fast in the sleep mode, even though wi-fi and bluetooth are switched off. I keep the cover closed, so it is in the sleep mode, I hope. Because while opening the cover I see it getting awakened.

#17  ottischwenk 12-27-2019, 03:32 AM
Quote parkher
Anybody had issues with Ares not going to sleep and not shutting off automatically?
My Ares does neither. It does not go to the sleep mode after 2 minutes of inactivity as it is set to do. Even when I switch to the sleep mode manually (by the button or by the cover) - it still does not switch off after the chosen time in sleep mode.
The battery is draining rather fast in the sleep mode, even though wi-fi and bluetooth are switched off. I keep the cover closed, so it is in the sleep mode, I hope. Because while opening the cover I see it getting awakened.
Test with open Cover:
after 2 minutes my Ares go to sleep mode automatically either in Start Screen, in Calibre Companion, in AlReader and immediately after closing the cover - no problem.
And it switches off after 30 Minutes.
WiFi setup to never.
Does your Ares have any background activities?

#18  parkher 12-27-2019, 07:03 AM
Quote ottischwenk
Does your Ares have any background activities?
Oh, it was the SD card.
Notifications: New Samsung SD card detected: Set up / Eject.
I was using a card formatted on Mimas without bothering of going through the motions of setting it up on Ares. It was working fine anyway.

Once I opened Notifications, Ares went to sleep. And then it turned itself off.
So it wanted to make sure I read the notification.

#19  ottischwenk 12-27-2019, 07:08 AM
Quote parkher
Oh, it was the SD card.
Notifications: New Samsung SD card detected: Set up / Eject.
I was using a card formatted on Mimas without bothering of going through the motions of setting it up on Ares. It was working fine anyway.

Once I opened Notifications, Ares went to sleep. And then it turned itself off.
So it wanted to make sure I read the notification.
Im using cards formatted for internal use and never change it - so such cannot happen.

#20  parkher 12-27-2019, 10:32 AM
Quote ottischwenk
Im using cards formatted for internal use and never change it - so such cannot happen.
I have abandoned that idea because I cannot access such cards. I can neither write any files to them from PC, nor read anything on e-reader. Although the last part is not really tested - how to read from something that is empty.
But it becomes hidden even from the e-reader's own file manager anyway.
It is enough to know about the notification issue, the problem solved.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register