Mobileread
Kobo Vox Hacking Progress
#11  Odieman 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Here's the interior

http://liliputing.com/2011/11/kobo-vox-tablet-teardown-reveals-an-internal-sd-card-slot.html

#12  jefftheworld 11-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Quote eksdee
The back on mine is held on by snaps . I was surprised at how easily it came off. Just popped a fingernail under the corner *click click click* and it was off. I haven't even owned it for an hour.

I cant see the micro SD slot inside yet but there does seem to be a reset button and the battery visible with just the back cover off. Looks like some screws will have to come off to uncover the main board.
Found it! Pics, details and a disk image when I get home!

#13  pulsar 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Quote eksdee
The back on mine is held on by snaps . I was surprised at how easily it came off. Just popped a fingernail under the corner *click click click* and it was off. I haven't even owned it for an hour.

I cant see the micro SD slot inside yet but there does seem to be a reset button and the battery visible with just the back cover off. Looks like some screws will have to come off to uncover the main board.
Thanks for the info! Indeed, back cover came off easily, battery as well. I removed all the screws, but can't figure out yet how to get to the main board.

The good news is indeed there is a button under the cover, which must be the "factory reset" one. Anyone cares to try it?

If I manage to get to the mainboard, I'll take a good quality photo of of it, and post it on my flickr page.

#14  pulsar 11-15-2011, 09:16 AM
I got it! You have to unscrew all the screws, and then very carefully push on sturdy inner plastic part, near a corner, and then the screen with the motherboard will start coming off. Just be very careful!

The button I talked about is marked "rst1" - very conveniently. So it must be reset.

I'll post the photo in a few minutes.

#15  pulsar 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Here is the hi-res photo (15 megapixels). Let's see if the forum will let me post the link.

image »
Kobo Vox disassembly by syamastro, on Flickr

#16  PeterT 11-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Quote pulsar
I got it! You have to unscrew all the screws, and then very carefully push on sturdy inner plastic part, near a corner, and then the screen with the motherboard will start coming off. Just be very careful!

The button I talked about is marked "rst1" - very conveniently. So it must be reset.

I'll post the photo in a few minutes.
Just begging to have a small pin-hole in the back cover!

#17  jefftheworld 11-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Ha, you beat me to it!

Okay. This is great news. We can now factory reset devices with a hardware button and we've got full backups of all the Vox "firmware".

Now onto stage 2! Alternative recovery, alternative ROMs.

#18  taming 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM
It should be possible to create a template that would assist us in making sure the hole was properly positioned .

#19  PeterT 11-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Quote taming
It should be possible to create a template that would assist us in making sure the hole was properly positioned .
Yep

Maybe then use a hot pin to make a hole?

#20  jefftheworld 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
The back plate comes off so easily I don't think it's really worth it to drill a hole or anything, but if you really want to do it, I'd recommend a pin vise.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/23)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register