Mobileread
Calibre 5.0.1 Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" FIXED
#1  brown131 09-26-2020, 01:28 PM
I upgraded to Calibre 5.0.1 on a Ubuntu 14.4 LTS system, and got this error when I tried starting calibre:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Reinstalling libxkbcommon-x11-0 did not help. To fix it, I first did "export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1" This allowed me to see what the missing libraries were. I then looked them up one at a time at https://packages.ubuntu.com to see what package they belonged to.

I found that I needed to manually install the following apt packages:
libxcb-xinerama0
libxcb-icccm4
libxcb-image0
libxcb-keysyms1
libxcb-render-util0

I hope others find this helpful.

#2  JSWolf 09-26-2020, 03:12 PM
Did you download Calibre from the Calibre website or did you download it from your repository. If you downloaded from your repository then the issues you had could have been because of that. Repositories quite often get Calibre wrong.

#3  kovidgoyal 09-26-2020, 09:02 PM
Yes, Qt now-a-days no longer bundles large parts of xcb with itself, so you hve to have more of those libraries installed on your system. Typically, only installing libxcb-xinerama0 should be needed.

#4  gbm 09-26-2020, 09:27 PM
Quote brown131
I upgraded to Calibre 5.0.1 on a Ubuntu 14.4 LTS system, and got this error when I tried starting calibre:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Reinstalling libxkbcommon-x11-0 did not help. To fix it, I first did "export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1" This allowed me to see what the missing libraries were. I then looked them up one at a time at https://packages.ubuntu.com to see what package they belonged to.

I found that I needed to manually install the following apt packages:
libxcb-xinerama0
libxcb-icccm4
libxcb-image0
libxcb-keysyms1
libxcb-render-util0

I hope others find this helpful.
I highly recommend that you upgrade to an OS that is not long past it's end of life date.

bernie

#5  JSWolf 09-28-2020, 07:29 AM
Quote kovidgoyal
Yes, Qt now-a-days no longer bundles large parts of xcb with itself, so you hve to have more of those libraries installed on your system. Typically, only installing libxcb-xinerama0 should be needed.
Can you block Calibre 5 from being installed on obsolete Linux systems?

#6  Margaret 09-29-2020, 04:25 PM
I had the same problem as brown131, with Ubuntu 16.04 using the command line install from the Calibre website. Installing libxcb-xinerama0 seems to have solved the problem; all the other libxcb-* mentioned by brown131 were already on my system. Thanks all round for the help.

#7  Catweazle 11-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Quote JSWolf
Can you block Calibre 5 from being installed on obsolete Linux systems?
This also fixed the issue for me on Ubuntu 20.04. So not only obsolete Linux systems have this issue...

#8  PaceyIV 12-03-2020, 04:16 PM
I've installed all the suggested packaged in my Debian 10 but I still have this error

Code
Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.
Annullato
I've upgrade calibre with the web script.

#9  JSWolf 12-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Quote PaceyIV
I've installed all the suggested packaged in my Debian 10 but I still have this error

Code
Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.
Annullato
I've upgrade calibre with the web script.
Don't use your Linux suppository for anything at all Calibre related. Most Linux suppositories BOTCH Calibre big time. Go to the official Calibre website and get it from there.

#10  PeterT 12-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Jon. Reading the op's post it states installed using the script from the web site. To my eye that is the official install and not from a distributions repository

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register