Mobileread
It is the Best of Times for Reading Ebooks
#11  leebase 06-10-2019, 09:38 AM
I believe the defining characteristic as to whether now feels like a great time or a bad time for ebooks/ereading.....is if you are focused on actually what you can read. If one is speaking of READING.....it's a great time.

#12  leebase 06-13-2019, 09:49 AM
Under "The best of times"....I really enjoyed that I could send my mom ebooks (she recently passed). I could buy her a kindle book...I could load a book on FBReader's network, and they would appear on her kindle and iPad.

#13  pwalker8 06-13-2019, 01:41 PM
Quote leebase
Under "The best of times"....I really enjoyed that I could send my mom ebooks (she recently passed). I could buy her a kindle book...I could load a book on FBReader's network, and they would appear on her kindle and iPad.
Yep, I did the same for my mother. She would tell me what books she wanted and the next time she opened her kindle (and later the kindle app on her iPad) there it was.

#14  cfrizz 06-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Now is a terrific time for reading I have multiple devices to read on and have all of my books on all of them, so I'm never without something to read or a device to read on!

#15  binaryhermit 06-13-2019, 09:24 PM
I can put (by my count) 4566 books in my pocket with room for thousands more. Beat that, 15 years ago.

#16  ZodWallop 06-15-2019, 02:25 AM
Quote binaryhermit
I can put (by my count) 4566 books in my pocket with room for thousands more. Beat that, 15 years ago.
Since I bought my Clara, I decided to load the SD card on my Aura up with every book I have, just to see what would happen. My count is close to yours (approaching 4,500). The Aura runs, but it is pretty slow. The database is likely getting too big for the Aura to handle.

#17  binaryhermit 06-15-2019, 02:38 AM
it's bearable on my kindle manga.
I just searched for a single 5-letter word, it took about 10 seconds.
Given that I do almost no text searches outside of checking to see if anything's indexing..

#18  issybird 06-20-2019, 08:21 AM
The best of times for ereading was when Kobo had unlimited use 90% off coupons.

#19  leebase 07-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Some more of why now is the best of times. There are more and higher quality reading apps. I mourned Stanza for a long time. I’ve been enjoying Marcin for years but no Android version. Now I use FBReader on both iOS and Android. I have a few “must haves”. Both sides touch and go forward. Finger swipe up/down to adjust light. Cloud sync, and handling of book series. FBReader even adds page of book, percent done and chapter marks at the bottom of screen....size configurable.

Kindle app, while remaining both my most used app and least improved/evolved....HAS added one cool new feature in the past year or so. I can listen to an audiobook and read a book at the same time and the sync works between reading text and listening to audio. Amazon will sell the add on audio book (for some titles) at a reasonable $6 or so

#20  pwalker8 07-11-2019, 08:45 AM
I've gotten a number of audiobooks at the discount price after getting the ebook, though I've never actually used the sync feature. I tend to tune out voices when I'm reading.

Best of times, imply to me that things couldn't be better. Things can always get better, but I do think that times are really, really good for ebooks. Good apps that provide pretty much everything that I want. Right now, for me, the only thing that is missing is the automatic syncing with Calibre that kept track of how much of a book I've read, when I start and when I finish a book. Marvin use to do it, but that broke when the iOS plugin for Marvin broke.

Utopia would be every book ever written being available for either purchase or download. I had hoped we would get there when Google started their scanning project, but it's going to take changes to the copyright law.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register