Mobileread
New Nook!
#1  raindog89 05-23-2019, 05:21 PM
There's a new Nook Glowlight Plus scheduled to roll out this weekend.
It's not on the B&N site yet, but the press releases are going around.
The big thing about this is it has a 7.8" display.
Not sure why they reused an old device name, though. Bound to make for confusion.
It has page buttons and not as bad a bezel at the NG3, if the photos are accurate.
And a $199. price.
The one thing I'm not sure if whether it has the warm (orange) lighting.
None of the press releases mention that, but you would think it would, especially at this price point.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/barnes-and-noble-nook-glowlight-plus-is-a-7-8-inch-e-reader

#2  lumpynose 05-23-2019, 05:34 PM
Since it has a headphone jack I'm betting they'll come out with a 32 gig model as well.

How is the software in the Nooks; do they do a good job with EPUBs? Hopefully their UI is better than the Kindle's.

#3  Nate the great 05-23-2019, 05:35 PM
thread started here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320290

BTW, that site ripped off my post again.

#4  ZodWallop 05-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Quote raindog89
There's a new Nook Glowlight Plus scheduled to roll out this weekend.
It's not on the B&N site yet, but the press releases are going around.
The big thing about this is it has a 7.8" display.
Not sure why they reused an old device name, though. Bound to make for confusion.
I can understand reusing the name. They don't sell the old Glowlight Plus anymore and haven't for a while. I don't think there will be too much confusion. Some I guess. But not much. And the wildly different screen sizes ought to make it easy enough to sort out.

It has page buttons and not as bad a bezel at the NG3, if the photos are accurate.
And a $199. price.
The one thing I'm not sure if whether it has the warm (orange) lighting.
None of the press releases mention that, but you would think it would, especially at this price point.
Looking at the image, it does have the amber light. And the article says:

It has a front-lit display screen and color temperature system.
I really hope there's some improvement in Nook software (and it would be nice if the improvements were rolled out to the Glowlight 3 and 6" Glowlight Plus).

And no more games with the amount of space available for sideloading, please.

#5  ZodWallop 05-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Quote lumpynose
How is the software in the Nooks; do they do a good job with EPUBs? Hopefully their UI is better than the Kindle's.
I think Nook does a very good job with page layout. The reading experience on the Nook is very good. I don't like that the page count is inaccurate, but that has to do with the ePub format, not the Nook.

Outside of the reading experience, I don't think the Nook software is as good as Kobo's software. The home page is half made up of store recommendations that can't be turned off. In my honest opinion, Nook software is 'good enough'.

I've only used Kindles for short times here and there, so I'm not the best judge. But I found it to be confusing and unintuitive. I'm sure reading some guide would clear up the mystery. But I've never needed such hand-holding on a Nook or Kobo.

Now, you will hear about Nook software being slow or buggy. That is mainly to do with the most recent update to the Glowlight 3. Originally, the Glowlight 3 only had a small partition for sideloading. After customers complained, they tried updating it with a software update. While there is now more room, the device is buggy.

I have a 6" Glowlight Plus and a Glowlight 3. Both run the same software and the Plus is definitely more stable.

#6  DaleDe 05-23-2019, 06:48 PM
I have created a wiki page NOOK GlowLight Plus@Wiki » for this device. The specifications are still mostly not available and B&N have not yet posted it on their site.

Dale

#7  Tony1988 05-23-2019, 11:37 PM
Looks good. I hope they pull it off. I would like to see Barnes and Nobles have a winner with this device. Have to give them credit for sticking in there. Have a Barnes and nobles 2 miles from my house will be checking it out.

#8  rcentros 05-24-2019, 01:22 AM
Quote ZodWallop
I can understand reusing the name. They don't sell the old Glowlight Plus anymore and haven't for a while. I don't think there will be too much confusion. Some I guess. But not much. And the wildly different screen sizes ought to make it easy enough to sort out.
If the device's pictures are accurate, it would probably have been better to name it the Nook Glowlight 3 Plus — since it looks like a bigger ("plus") version of the current Glowlight 3.

#9  rcentros 05-24-2019, 01:25 AM
Quote Tony1988
Looks good. I hope they pull it off. I would like to see Barnes and Nobles have a winner with this device. Have to give them credit for sticking in there. Have a Barnes and nobles 2 miles from my house will be checking it out.
I'll be taking a look at one also (if they're in stock in Boise).

#10  ZodWallop 05-24-2019, 01:57 PM
Quote rcentros
If the device's pictures are accurate, it would probably have been better to name it the Nook Glowlight 3 Plus — since it looks like a bigger ("plus") version of the current Glowlight 3.
I thought of that too. Maybe they thought it sounded clunky?

Maybe just drop Glowlight and call it the Nook 3 Plus? Or Glowlight XL or something?

But in the end, I can live with Glowlight Plus. When will anyone care, aside from buying 3rd party cases from Amazon and I'm guessing B&N doesn't care about that.

And they aren't the first. you ever try looking on Amazon for a case for the Kobo Aura? Good luck with that.

Next »  Last »  (1/16)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register