Mobileread
Font Nerds, to the Font Cave!
#11  lumpynose 05-21-2019, 02:25 PM
Quote Hitch
... done by people who decided that they were gonna be experts on Wednesday after having downloaded the software on bloody Monday.
Sounds like me!

#12  Hitch 05-21-2019, 02:32 PM
Quote lumpynose
Yeah, I can sympathize. It's hard to find companies that actually care about their customers.
Yes. You'd think that they would have AT LEAST made some sort of big-ass concession, but no.

Quote lumpynose
Sounds like me!
Everybody has to start somewhere, so, fine, no problem. But I wish that they would at least admit that they've been doing book-layout for five minutes, not five years and save me some damned time.

Hitch

#13  lumpynose 05-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Quote Hitch
Yes. You'd think that they would have AT LEAST made some sort of big-ass concession, but no.

Everybody has to start somewhere, so, fine, no problem. But I wish that they would at least admit that they've been doing book-layout for five minutes, not five years and save me some damned time.

Hitch
C'mon, they're self-appointed experts. Not much different than the self-appointed nutrition experts with web pages spewing all sorts of illogical nonsense that they merely heard from somewhere else.

#14  Bilbo1967 05-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Quote Hitch
Hi:

...It torqued my bum...

I simultaneously don't understand this and love it. Is this a common saying?

#15  Hitch 05-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Quote Bilbo1967

I simultaneously don't understand this and love it. Is this a common saying?
Well, in the US, it's normally "torqued my ass," but I was making it a bit more family-friendly. It means, aggravated me or got on my nerves in a major way. I have NO idea of the genesis or etymology of it, though. Couldn't even tell you how long I've said it, but certainly decades at least. ;-) Happy to help with quaint sayings from our neck of the woods!

Hitch

#16  lumpynose 05-21-2019, 04:07 PM
I think it might be a variation on tail twister. Torque is sort of twisting. See the second definition below.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tail%20Twister

#17  Hitch 05-21-2019, 04:24 PM
Quote lumpynose
I think it might be a variation on tail twister. Torque is sort of twisting. See the second definition below.

Yeah, the 2nd definition seems to fit. I've always thought of it as a variant on "chaps my ass," which is similar, and seems to derive from a bad-fitting saddle, chafing or chapping your, well, bum.

Hitch

#18  dwig 05-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Quote Hitch

Anybody here had any luck in finding something a bit off the beaten path, for color fonts? I'm dying to deply one or two, but I'm hanged if I'm going to upgrade my Adobe apps if I absolutely do not HAVE TO.

Thoughts?

Hitch
From reading through the linked site, support is rather limited. At present it requires macOS 10.14, Windows 10, iOS 12 or newer AND only a limited set of applications. Other and Adobe's newest major CC apps, it seems QuarkXpress 2018 and Firefox are the only cross platform apps with support. MS Edge (the old one on Win10), Safari (macOS 10.14 and iOS12}, Pixelmator (macOS 10.14), Sketch (macOS 10.14), and Affinity Designer (macOS 10.14) all also support them.

Since Win10 and macOS 10.14 have native support at the OS level, if MS Office ever adds support it will be with fonts installed at the OS level rather than any special "private" method.

#19  Hitch 05-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Quote dwig
From reading through the linked site, support is rather limited. At present it requires macOS 10.14, Windows 10, iOS 12 or newer AND only a limited set of applications. Other and Adobe's newest major CC apps, it seems QuarkXpress 2018 and Firefox are the only cross platform apps with support. MS Edge (the old one on Win10), Safari (macOS 10.14 and iOS12}, Pixelmator (macOS 10.14), Sketch (macOS 10.14), and Affinity Designer (macOS 10.14) all also support them.

Since Win10 and macOS 10.14 have native support at the OS level, if MS Office ever adds support it will be with fonts installed at the OS level rather than any special "private" method.
Yup, that's my take, too. RATS. I really wanted to be wrong, dammit.

MS says that it's adding support for these, btw.

Hitch

#20  Bilbo1967 05-21-2019, 05:32 PM
Ok
Quote Hitch
Well, in the US, it's normally "torqued my ass," but I was making it a bit more family-friendly. It means, aggravated me or got on my nerves in a major way. I have NO idea of the genesis or etymology of it, though. Couldn't even tell you how long I've said it, but certainly decades at least. ;-) Happy to help with quaint sayings from our neck of the woods!

Hitch
Quote lumpynose

Quote Hitch
Yeah, the 2nd definition seems to fit. I've always thought of it as a variant on "chaps my ass," which is similar, and seems to derive from a bad-fitting saddle, chafing or chapping your, well, bum.

Hitch
Thank you both. I'm still not sure I fully understand it but it's still good. Love these regional sayings

Please now resume your scheduled font discussion.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register