Mobileread
New Leaf May 2019 Discussion • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
#81  ekbell 05-27-2019, 11:25 AM
Quote issybird
I've thought of an earlier, but non-literary, "good" vampire: Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows. It's not a show I ever saw, but Barnabas's trajectory seems similar to Silas's, an early evil non-life which segued into working on the side of good.

I think graveyards of a certain vintage are very friendly and places of fascination to children. Where I live, there are very old family plots all over the place, by the side of the road, in open spaces, even in the middle of the woods. I can't imagine taking a child to play in one of the modern manicured cemeteries, but a place that's overgrown, with tumbled headstones, crumbling mausoleums, hard if not impossible to decipher inscriptions, is endlessly interesting and provides a lot of room to roam, run and even ride a bicycle as with Gaiman's son without fear.
I played in an old graveyard as a child, a secluded alcove set on top of a small cliff near our swimming hole/flooded gravel pit. The combination of seclusion, sun and stone would lure snakes into basking making them easy to catch.

#82  Catlady 05-27-2019, 01:34 PM
Interesting article Bookworm_Girl; I have read all the titles up to and including Interview with the Vampire, none of the listed ones after that.

I went through a vampire phase in the late 1970s--Interview, the Broadway revival of Dracula with Frank Langella, and a TV production with Louis Jourdan as Dracula all came along at about the same time and fueled my interest. What they had in common was seductive, handsome vampires.

Though I watched Dark Shadows back in the day, Barnabas Collins wasn't in their league.

Bringing this around to cemeteries, on my first trip to London I made sure to visit the wonderfully creepy Highgate Cemetery because of Dracula. Old cemeteries are vastly more interesting than new ones.

#83  Bookpossum 05-27-2019, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, Bookworm_Girl. I shall check them out.

Sadly, though I lived in London for about a year, I never got to Highgate Cemetery. However, I did visit the Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris and found the grave of Abélard and Hélouise, along with those of various other people of course.

Old cemeteries here in Australia, and no doubt elsewhere, are often great places to find flowers that haven't survived elsewhere. Some of ours have native orchids in them that are just about impossible to find in other places.

« First  « Prev   (9/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register